Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X11 Display Manager Sees Its First Update In Seven Years

Phoronix: X11 Display Manager Sees Its First Update In Seven Years

For those wanting a nostalgic X11 experience this weekend, the X11 Display Manager (XDM) has seen its first release since 2011...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ger-XDM-1.1.12

Given that I do not need to share any desktop system with other people, xdm (as well as all other "display managers") provides no significant benefit over the console-based login prompt. Entering once my username/password after rebooting is not really something that software could make a big difference to. Thus I'll continue to have a simple script start my X server, without any eye-candy menu put before that. And likewise, "xlock", "xsecurelock" and "vlock" are all good enough for my screen locking requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
      Thus I'll continue to have a simple script start my X server, without any eye-candy menu put before that. And likewise, "xlock", "xsecurelock" and "vlock" are all good enough for my screen locking requirements.
      Your IT environment should be safe that you do not need any locking or all security features of distributions for servers. Lightdm is useful when changing settings that requires requires X to restart. My computers have booted to desktop directly since windows 1.0. My first graphical desktop computer was a laptop in 1987. The screen backlight went broken and it was in service for 5 weeks. I decided not to buy laptops with my own money ever again. They are portable toys.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        The screen backlight went broken and it was in service for 5 weeks. I decided not to buy laptops with my own money ever again. They are portable toys.
        Wait.... are you saying you avoid buying all laptops from any brand because of ONE bad experience with crappy 1980s backlight technology? That's like eating raw sushi from some random town in Kansas in the middle of summer, unsurprisingly getting food poisoning, and then swearing to never eat any kind of seafood ever again from anywhere strictly out of principle. If you're that easily deterred by 1 bad experience due to a very specific worst-case scenario, I can't imagine how many things in life you currently (and unnecessarily) avoid.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Wait.... are you saying you avoid buying all laptops from any brand because of ONE bad experience with crappy 1980s backlight technology?
          My kid bought a HP celeron laptop in 2015, hinges went broken and after repairing them the back panel of the screen broke. This toy lasted 3 years. I had a 10 year old fujitsu siemens dual core pentium laptop for my other kid so there are durable laptops. New laptops are expensive and with the same money you build a much better portable microATX PC that is easy to service and update.
          Last edited by debianxfce; 03-02-2019, 11:10 PM.

Comment

My kid bought a HP celeron laptop in 2015, hinges went broken and after repairing them the back panel of the screen broke. This toy lasted 3 years.
            Yeah, that is a toy. Your kid got one of the cheapest models on the market (and I know this because you said it's an HP with a Celeron) and probably picked it up by the display. You shouldn't pick up laptops by the display in general, but especially not cheap ones. I've seen low-end models get that same problem you described several times. That doesn't mean ALL laptops have that problem. Spend an extra couple hundred dollars on something that isn't made entirely of the cheapest binned parts placed in a thin plastic chassis and you'll get something with reasonable performance and can take a beating for years.
            Have you not seen what a half-decent laptop looks like? It kinda just boggles my mind how you generalize laptops this much.
            Last edited by schmidtbag; 03-02-2019, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Have you not seen what a half-decent laptop looks like? It kinda just boggles my mind how you generalize laptops this much.
              My fujitsu siemens laptop was a durable business laptop, I bought and sold it for 50 euros. With a couple of hundred dollars you get a decent GPU card or a gaming monitor. It is stupid to pay hundred of dollars for computers with small and slow screens.

Comment

My fujitsu siemens laptop was a durable business laptop, I bought and sold it for 50 euros. With a couple of hundred dollars you get a decent GPU card or a gaming monitor. It is stupid to pay hundred of dollars for computers with small and slow screens.
                If performance is the only thing that matters to you then sure, get the GPU. But much of the expense in a decent laptop is having an all-in-one computer (including inputs and a display), a battery, and most importantly, portability. Most people who use a laptop for business purposes don't care about gaming performance, nor should they. To such people, the performance tradeoff is well worth the other benefits. If your job or lifestyle doesn't depend on portability, then a laptop is largely useless and a very poor choice to invest in. But for people on the go, buying a "decent GPU" is worthless to them.

The only laptops that are especially stupid to get are the ones made with cheap construction materials or centered around gaming.

Comment

New laptops are expensive and with the same money you build a much better portable microATX PC that is easy to service and update.
                  Yeah, a portable microATX PC with a portable screen and a portable external battery to run both for 5-8 hours, and a hiking backpack to carry the 10-20 kg of this contraption around.

Just don't buy crappy laptops, that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
                    Given that I do not need to share any desktop system with other people, xdm (as well as all other "display managers") provides no significant benefit over the console-based login prompt. Entering once my username/password after rebooting is not really something that software could make a big difference to. Thus I'll continue to have a simple script start my X server, without any eye-candy menu put before that. And likewise, "xlock", "xsecurelock" and "vlock" are all good enough for my screen locking requirements.
                    Yeah, and if you want secure screen locking, it needs implementing on top of Wayland anyway. No matter what you implemented on top of X11, the locking system will not be void of race conditions that you can inject keyloggers with.

Comment

Working...
                    X