Lima DRM Driver Strikes Version Two For Mali 400/450 Open-Source Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    Is there hardware with this out there? Laptops?
    Adding the Odroid boards to the list. There was quite a bunch of these ARM tinker boards that came with Mali chips, which was a lot of hope after the ImgTec/PowerVR desasters of the past years.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      Cool, need to remember Pinebook. I was asking since I remember that comment from Linus ARM can't succeed in clouds without native ARM development machines.
      I very much doubt that you could develop on it comfortably, lack of oomph in the processor and only 2GB of RAM would be painful
      A successor to the Pinebook is planned to be released this year, the Pinebook Pro. It will have a 14" 1080p screen, a RK3399 6-core SoC with Mali T860MP4 (targeted by the Panfrost driver), 4 GB RAM, and 64/128 GB eMMC.

Comment

Yes, Pinebook does.
        PINE64 is a large, vibrant and diverse community and creates software, documentation and projects.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
          A successor to the Pinebook is planned to be released this year, the Pinebook Pro. It will have a 14" 1080p screen, a RK3399 6-core SoC with Mali T860MP4 (targeted by the Panfrost driver), 4 GB RAM, and 64/128 GB eMMC.
          I think for a decent dev laptop you really need 16GB of RAM

Comment

Really depends on what you are developing.
            I still have a old Acer C720 chromebook lying around with 2GB ram and a dualcore 1.4ghz which I put Ubuntu on, which works fine for most of the generic coding I do.
            The only machine i have lying around with 16GB ram is my Asus ROG (quadcore with nvidia 1060), which i specifically configured for VR and 3D rendering.

Comment

I develop things with Arduino IDE for ESP8266 on a rk3288 tvbox with 2 gb of ram and 8 gb of emmc. It works very well and have no memory issues.
              At work I use Ubuntu 16.04 with Thunderbird + Firefox (6-7 tabs on average), different instances of PhpStorm IDE and PyCharm IDE, several terminals. Everything with 8 Gb of RAM and still have no deficiencies from my machine.

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post

I develop things with Arduino IDE for ESP8266 on a rk3288 tvbox with 2 gb of ram and 8 gb of emmc. It works very well and have no memory issues.
                At work I use Ubuntu 16.04 with Thunderbird + Firefox (6-7 tabs on average), different instances of PhpStorm IDE and PyCharm IDE, several terminals. Everything with 8 Gb of RAM and still have no deficiencies from my machine.
                You can develop for a microcontroller on a 2GB system? SHOCKING! Or not.

Also, LMAO at 6-7 tabs in the browser

Comment

I very much doubt that you could develop on it comfortably, lack of oomph in the processor and only 2GB of RAM would be painful
                  Look, Mr. Torvalds wrote his Linux using mere 80386. Compared to it, 1GHz ARM, even 32 bit, even single core, boasting 2 GB DDR is pretty much like supercomputer. I'm yet to see anything comparable from those moaning about 2Gb not enough, tee-hee. I very much doubt those moaning about 2GB are anyhow capable of doing anything even remotely comparable to, say, Linux.

p.s. and yes, you can develop for microcontrollers using 2Gb ARM SBC. I've even had some fun doing it a bit. Just because I can. Larger PC could improve some things, but, realistically, 2GB ARM SBC can do nearly everything usual PC can do. And plenty of things PCs can't do. Like say GPIO/IIO/small & predictable system that boots fast and even without proprietary blobs in lucky case - so it stays quite predictable.
                  Last edited by SystemCrasher; 02 March 2019, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Busload of single board computers, STBs & "hdmi dongles", etc.

Comment

Originally posted by KellyClowers View Post

You can develop for a microcontroller on a 2GB system? SHOCKING! Or not.

Also, LMAO at 6-7 tabs in the browser
                      You should learn to read the whole message, including the original quotes.
                      it was in response to this:

Originally posted by FireBurn
                      Last edited by blackshard; 03 April 2019, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X