Lima DRM Driver Strikes Version Two For Mali 400/450 Open-Source Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lima DRM Driver Strikes Version Two For Mali 400/450 Open-Source Support

Phoronix: Lima DRM Driver Strikes Version Two For Mali 400/450 Open-Source Support

While the Mali 400/450 series era hardware is now 7~11 years old, the revived Lima DRM driver is still being pursued for mainlining in the Linux kernel to offer up open-source support for these once popular Arm graphics generations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be rather interesting being able to spin up a newer android kernel for older devices when all the bits fall into place

Comment

Is there hardware with this out there? Laptops?

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
        Is there hardware with this out there? Laptops?
        Embedded systems and phones.

Comment

nanonyme Mali 400/450 is very popular in SoCs for SBCs. Allwinner, AMLogic, RockChip, and even Intel (Atom x3-C3130/3230) use it.
          I have one in my Orange Pi PC (Allwinner H3 with Mali 400MP2).

Laptops with Mali exist too, for example Pinebook (Allwinner A64 with Mali 400MP2).

Comment

I'm happy to know that, but power management is still not supported by the kernel.
            On the mesa side there is still much thing to do.
            But mainline it can be a start

Comment

nice news, finally I have some hope to put linux on my tvbox based on rockchip 3229 .. has a gpu mali 400,
              with android surfing the internet is as awkward as shit

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                nanonyme Mali 400/450 is very popular in SoCs for SBCs. Allwinner, AMLogic, RockChip, and even Intel (Atom x3-C3130/3230) use it.
                I have one in my Orange Pi PC (Allwinner H3 with Mali 400MP2).

Laptops with Mali exist too, for example Pinebook (Allwinner A64 with Mali 400MP2).
                Cool, need to remember Pinebook. I was asking since I remember that comment from Linus ARM can't succeed in clouds without native ARM development machines.

Comment

Keep it coming, crashing as it may. It would be amazing to be able to run a generic distro on any decent ARM board – more mainlining please.

I'm tired of vendor-provided kernels, because there is always a kernel module missing.
                  Last edited by andreano; 27 February 2019, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

Cool, need to remember Pinebook. I was asking since I remember that comment from Linus ARM can't succeed in clouds without native ARM development machines.
                    I very much doubt that you could develop on it comfortably, lack of oomph in the processor and only 2GB of RAM would be painful

Comment

Working...
                    X