Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server 1.20.4 Released With XWayland Fixes

Phoronix: X.Org Server 1.20.4 Released With XWayland Fixes

Adam Jackson of Red Hat has issued the X.Org Server 1.20.4 point release with the latest stable updates primarily consisting of XWayland enhancements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If I get things right, there are some really important fixes in here, especially for XWayland. Great to see it happening!

Comment

Oooh, nice. There are some fixes in git that I really appreciate. Can't wait to find out if they've been included in this release

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
        If I get things right, there are some really important fixes in here, especially for XWayland. Great to see it happening!
        I really hope I can run now fullscreen Vulkan games on XWayland! This fix is outstanding since such a long time. The workaround with enforcing window mode with boarders was not convenient at all!

Comment

R41N3R , two weeks ago server-1.20-branch works very good with fifa19 and rotr, but they put some new stuff it final release... so we will see.

Comment

Is there any cruft in X.Org Server that can be cut out?
            Does it still have multiple input backends and graphics backends?
            Do we in 2019 need all that old stuff from the X of the 80s and 90s?
            When running X.Org Server purely under Wayland and XWayland is all of the X.Org Server needed?
            Have any modules been dropped? Are any modules getting dropped?
            Any code removal happening?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              no Anything that may not be used is in modules that you may or may not install.
              yes
              no but it's still part of the X protocol specification so you cannot drop it
              When running X.Org Server purely under Wayland and XWayland is all of the X.Org Server needed?
              yes. Drivers are not needed by Xorg in XWayland as it's a Wayland client, but Xorg drivers are used by the Wayland compositor instead.
              Have any modules been dropped?
              no
              Are any modules getting dropped?
              no
              no

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Have any modules been dropped? Are any modules getting dropped?
                Why would you want that?
                Yes, it does.
                Yes, we do! (of course some stuff like polygon drawing and all of that "extra" features aren't needed) It is more stable than the Wayland compositors at this moment. Remember: new isn't always better.
                Of course.
                Some over the years. Not yet.
                Why do you want this? What is so bad about X.Org other than age that makes you abhor it?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  Why do you want this? What is so bad about X.Org other than age that makes you abhor it?
                  The fact that it will be phased out and discontinued means that it's on life support, and no sane person should use software that is on life support, regardless of how stable or performant it is because it can be dropped any time.

Unless the developers working on the display stack can provide the assurance that the xserver portion of Xorg will never be dropped forever in order to support XWayland (just like Windows can never drop the older display driver model from XP and earlier for compatibility purposes), it's imperative that we get used to Wayland right now.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    I want less memory usage, and reduced attack surface. I want less code upstream so the maintainers have it easier to maintain, so that new contributors have it easier to grasp, and so that there are less bugs.

I hear about new technologies and additions to X.Org such as DRI3, PRIME, DMA_BUF, sync fences, GLAMOR, 16-bit per color channel, 48-bit and 64-bit color depth, etc. It makes me wonder if all the old stuff is still needed now that we have this new stuff.

With the multiple input stacks and graphics stack, it make me wonder if we cant unify them and get rid of the old redundant ones and have just one input stack and one graphics stack.

Comment

Working...
                    X