• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shfueuklba
    replied
    Plymouth Planned For Ubuntu 9.10 Integration

Hey,
    I am heard to glad thatPlymouth Planned For Ubuntu 9.10 Integration.Plymouth is the application which provides the graphical "splash" screen when booting and shutting down an Ubuntu system.some facts are there like:quick fast,start up,testing ,debugging etc...
    Locksmith Plymouth MA

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by yesterday View Post
    There is no reason a decent grub-to-desktop implementation cannot be flicker free, support modern resolutions, AND still allow for boot error notification.
    There is a reason: no kernel mode-setting = flicker, low resolution.

Leave a comment:

• SheeEttin
    replied
    Originally posted by yesterday View Post
    I agree with the Kjella. The fact remains that the current graphical bootup is a pretty poor implementation. If Windows or OSX had such a flicker-filled boot up we'd be mocking them. There is no reason a decent grub-to-desktop implementation cannot be flicker free, support modern resolutions, AND still allow for boot error notification. In fact I think current ubuntu usplash can be configured to be silent except under certain circumstances (fsck etc.)
    Sure. Just remove the "quiet" option, but not the "splash" one. You get a "pretty" progress bar (actually, it's pretty ugly) with scrolling boot messages underneath.
    At least that's the way Kubuntu works. I'd assume Ubuntu is the same, just in orange.

Also, for those who don't know, boot messages are logged on VT1, VT2, and/or VT8 while the system is booting with usplash, and I'm pretty sure you can hit scroll lock to freeze them.

Leave a comment:

• yesterday
    replied
    I agree with the Kjella. The fact remains that the current graphical bootup is a pretty poor implementation. If Windows or OSX had such a flicker-filled boot up we'd be mocking them. There is no reason a decent grub-to-desktop implementation cannot be flicker free, support modern resolutions, AND still allow for boot error notification. In fact I think current ubuntu usplash can be configured to be silent except under certain circumstances (fsck etc.)

Leave a comment:

• Kjella
    replied
    Originally posted by Gentooer View Post
    Yeah I've never understood why any knowledgeable linux user would want to hide all the important boot messages. Besides, with gentoo on a SSD I'm already in X in 10-15 seconds, barely enough time to turn on my monitor and sit down. I like eyecandy as much as anyone, but not when it limits usability.
    Personally, I think you answered your own question. Who actually manages to read that stuff anymore? Unless the boot really hangs then at the very best I'll see a red line flashing past and that's it. That is if I make it an effort to stare at the screen as it boots.

If it's in a bootable state, I'd much rather have a "Linux experienced some warnings/errors on boot. Click _here_ for details." in KDM/GDM or a systray applet after logging in. If you want to talk usability, what's less userfriendly than "Whoops, you missed it... well I'm not going to repeat myself, you'll find out on your own!"

Leave a comment:

• fart_flower
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Na, they just like the fact that your distracted while they go through your wallet looking for more Christmas gift money.
    No worries. I keep a set mouse trap stuffed in my wallet.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by fart_flower View Post
    And chicks dig it.
    Na, they just like the fact that your distracted while they go through your wallet looking for more Christmas gift money.

Leave a comment:

• fart_flower
    replied
    Originally posted by elanthis View Post
    It requires at a minimum full KMS support. Fedora 10 -- which shipped Plymouth -- therefor only supported Plymouth on older ATI cards, nothing else.
    While it is true that Plymouth can take advantage of KMS, it is not a requirement. My Fedora 10 install runs the animated flaring sun boot screen on an nVidia card quite well. It's not enabled by default, but it can be done relatively easily.

And chicks dig it.

Leave a comment:

• elanthis
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    In the end the FOSS community would end up shooting them selves in the foot.
    Hardly. The FOSS world neither begins nor ends with the Linux kernel.

Perhaps Linux would drop off of as a leading render-farm/workstation OS, but either OpenSolaris or FreeBSD (or one of its cousins) or one of the many other FOSS OSes are far more likely to take its place than the sole remaining Big Popular Proprietary OS.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by elanthis View Post
    Those updates usually had quick fixes -- a beta driver at least would be published within a week or three that includes the updated DDX ABI or kernel glue code. Now, however, we're apparently approaching a point where the new interfaces are GPL-only. Things are going to get worse for binary driver users, not better.

Not necessarily, if anything nvidia has shown in the past it can easily adapt to what ever curve balls the FOSS community throws at them. If they throw a curve so outside of the strike zone all they are going to accomplish is forcing big players that use the high end stuff to switch back to a OS where that concern is no longer present. In the end the FOSS community would end up shooting them selves in the foot.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X