Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated X.Org, X Server Packages Hit Ubuntu 9.04

Phoronix: Updated X.Org, X Server Packages Hit Ubuntu 9.04

X Server 1.6 isn't being released until next month but the latest Git snapshot of it plus a slew of other updated X.Org packages have just made their way into the Jaunty repository for Ubuntu 9.04.The second alpha release of Ubuntu 9.04 will be released later this week with the updated development X Server, an updated Intel driver, the Nouveau driver, a revised evdev driver, the latest Radeon and RadeonHD drivers, and dozens of other X related packages. The list of updated packages committed this month can be found on jaunty-changes.This is good news for those interested in DRI2 support, RandR 1.3, DDX support for the latest ATI hardware, and an arsenal of fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does that mean we can finally have flicker free video playback in fglrx with Composite enabled?

Comment

Originally posted by gururise View Post
      Does that mean we can finally have flicker free video playback in fglrx with Composite enabled?
      I can't say whether fglrx supports DRI2, but it somehow should work by next month. You'll find that out when you look at the last release announcement from Phoronix that stated Composite+Video was now possible, but it seems this statement was not meant for the Catalyst 8.12, so I assume Michael unwantedly leaked some information there for the Catalyst 9.1 driver release.

It's all about reading the articles properly

Comment

And when will these necessary changes arrive in other distros like Fedora, Mandriva, openSuse?

Comment

whoa whoa whoa whoa.

whoa.

They're putting up-and-coming, development snapshots of components in an alpha-stage distro? One that isn't going to reach gold-master for another four months? Seriously?

Whoa.

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
            And when will these necessary changes arrive in other distros like Fedora, Mandriva, openSuse?

Same as usual, they will probably be included in the next scheduled release of each distro. Most distro's will have upgrade packages available in their respective repo's outside of their supported tree for older releases.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Same as usual, they will probably be included in the next scheduled release of each distro. Most distro's will have upgrade packages available in their respective repo's outside of their supported tree for older releases.
              That is great. I'm waiting to have DRI2 in openSUSE

Hopeful Phoronix will inform us about those changes in other non-ubuntu distros as well.

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
                That is great. I'm waiting to have DRI2 in openSUSE

Hopeful Phoronix will inform us about those changes in other non-ubuntu distros as well.
                Well, Michael is an Ubuntu user who doesn't have time to check the updates of the repositories in all of the big distributions I assume, but you can be sure that DRI2 candy is coming in openSuSE 11.2 / 12.0, whatever the next release will be called.

Comment

@KDesk:
                  Keep your eyes open. I don't know if its live yet for 11.1, but the openSUSE guys usually throw a semi-official repository on the Build Service for all the latest X goodness. Just go to software.opensuse.org/search and punch in something like xserver. Look for a repo that "X11:" or "X11:/Backports" or something.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffro-tull View Post
                    @KDesk:
                    Keep your eyes open. I don't know if its live yet for 11.1, but the openSUSE guys usually throw a semi-official repository on the Build Service for all the latest X goodness. Just go to software.opensuse.org/search and punch in something like xserver. Look for a repo that "X11:" or "X11:/Backports" or something.
                    It will also be easy to spin a new CD/DVD with it in using susestudio once it is publically opened.

Some kind heart may even spin one off and torrent it for ya.

Comment

Working...
                    X