Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panfrost Open-Source Mali Driver Now Has A Winsys Working With ARM's Kernel Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panfrost Open-Source Mali Driver Now Has A Winsys Working With ARM's Kernel Driver

Phoronix: Panfrost Open-Source Mali Driver Now Has A Winsys Working With ARM's Kernel Driver

Open-source driver developer Tomeu Vizoso of Collabora has taken to some Panfrost driver work for greatly enhancing the viability of this open-source, reverse-engineered ARM Mali Linux graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've been irritated by us lacking proper Mali support for a long time, and have checked through a bunch of GPU driver projects to see how a this driver could be written. The problem I want discussed, and talked about, is how we to get a soft IP based GPU like Mali to be given a driver separated from the display chipset. In other words, do we have a major architecture limitation, which would explain why after so many years nobody can make drivers for this entire market of devices?

Think about this...

if the GPU or display chipset must be coded together, and it might even be so bad that code on each side is required for each combination, then the board will be past production and superseded by the time the project begins coding. The reason this hasn't been a problem for any earlier GPU drivers is quite simple, the display chipset and GPU were combined by one vendor. In the case of Mali nothing could be further from the conditions of the market, and this is where our eco-system has failed consistently.

Linux cannot move out of the server market, UNLESS the hardware is controlled completely within one vender, and promoting monopolies harms the software user community at least as much as lacking source. Can it be fixed... sure, anything can be fixed, but it can't be the disruptive force it was in new markets without the will to succeed.

Obviously I support any effort to build a Mali driver, and why haven't they crowd funded yet, after coming up with a VERY good plan?
    Last edited by techzilla; 07 January 2019, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Very cool that they managed this now, because it means that the official ARM kernel driver can be considered for upstreaming.

Comment

Originally posted by techzilla View Post
        I've been irritated by us lacking proper Mali support for a long time, and have checked through a bunch of GPU driver projects to see how a this driver could be written. The problem I want discussed, and talked about, is how we to get a soft IP based GPU like Mali to be given a driver separated from the display chipset. In other words, do we have a major architecture limitation, which would explain why after so many years nobody can make drivers for this entire market of devices?

Obviously I support any effort to build a Mali driver, and why haven't they crowd funded yet, after coming up with a VERY good plan?
        I believe there are already render-only drivers in Mesa, such as Tegra and Etnaviv where the display block is separate from the GPU render block.

Some of this code was originally written for Etnaviv and then could be reused by Tegra in early 2017. It's common code in Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by rhysk View Post

I believe there are already render-only drivers in Mesa, such as Tegra and Etnaviv where the display block is separate from the GPU render block.

Some of this code was originally written for Etnaviv and then could be reused by Tegra in early 2017. It's common code in Mesa.
          There's actually three such drivers in mesa right now: vc4/pl111, etnaviv/imx, and nouveau/tegra.

Comment

Originally posted by techzilla View Post
            Linux cannot move out of the server market
            linux is the most used user-facing operating system on earth. smartphones are not servers

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
              Very cool that they managed this now, because it means that the official ARM kernel driver can be considered for upstreaming.
              after complete rewrite, as usual

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                linux is the most used user-facing operating system on earth. smartphones are not servers
                Don't forget TV's, camera's (user interface), cars.

Comment

This work was sponsored by Collabora or was a spare time work from Vizoso?

EDIT: Just finished to read the blog post, it was a sponsored effort, nice one Collabora
                  Last edited by andrei_me; 08 January 2019, 09:13 PM.

Comment

And.. here's an Amlogic S912 (Mali T820) running Kodi v18 on 4.19.3 with panfrost

Comment

Working...
                    X