Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panfrost Open-Source Mali Driver Now Has A Winsys Working With ARM's Kernel Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    linux is the most used user-facing operating system on earth. smartphones are not servers
    Linux as the kernel, it isn't an operating system, and Android has a different design for GPU driver support. I was using the term Linux as shorthand for GNU/Linux based systems, Android is not one of those, which is why Android GPU support doesn't translate to the GNU/Linux ecosystem. We cannot just reverse engineer a defined blob, to get GPU support, if we could... then we'd have had support a long time ago.
    Last edited by techzilla; 10 October 2019, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by techzilla View Post
      Linux as the kernel, it isn't an operating system, and Android has a different design for GPU driver support. I was using the term Linux as shorthand for GNU/Linux based systems, Android is not one of those
      android is just another linux distro. i don't know what gnu/linux means. your browser isn't gnu and it's most used app for most people, so it should be mozilla/linux or google/linux
      Originally posted by techzilla View Post
      We cannot just reverse engineer a defined blob
      luckily there are people who can and they are working on mesa drivers
      Last edited by pal666; 12 October 2019, 04:07 PM.

Comment

android is just another linux distro. i don't know what gnu/linux means. your browser isn't gnu and it's most used app for most people, so it should be mozilla/linux or google/linux
        You don't know what I mean? Let me phrase this in an easy way for you to comprehend, Android uses its own implementation in regards to GPU and graphical display, the APKs are completely useless for any non-Android system. It isn't the proprietary hardware part that is the problem, we'd have handled this years ago if that was it. If you want to give the Fedora/RHEL/SLES/Ubuntu/Debian/Gentoo/Arch *nix like operating systems a new name, please by all means. Until then I used the only term I have to differentiate between what we were doing, in contrast to what Google does. I don't care what you call it, but if I was making your pedantic point, I'd emphasize Mesa/Wayland/Xorg/Linux. Why? That is what is actually relevant to this discussion.

luckily there are people who can and they are working on mesa drivers
        I've been closely following Mali driver development since when Luc was working on it, and it has taken many years to get where we are now. He published extensive documentation on his reverse engineering efforts, and discovering hardware details to write a driver isn't that difficult for a committed person to accomplish. Understanding Mali hardware, has not been the reason graphics driver development has taken such a ridiculous length of time, so shut the hell up jackass.
        Last edited by techzilla; 19 November 2019, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rhysk View Post

I believe there are already render-only drivers in Mesa, such as Tegra and Etnaviv where the display block is separate from the GPU render block.

Some of this code was originally written for Etnaviv and then could be reused by Tegra in early 2017. It's common code in Mesa.
          You mistake my concern, it was not that a driver couldn't be written for each combination... it absolutely can be done, and has been done. My concern is that this clearly is not viable for actual hardware market conditions we live in, because of the fast pace of endless combinations, as demonstrated by the huge and growing number of unsupported boards. The Mali coding should be broken out in some way, and separated from the display chipset, thus minimizing the need for board specific full rewrites. This is especially a concern for Mali, because it is the GPU IP used by most boards, each having different display chipsets.
          Last edited by techzilla; 19 November 2019, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X