Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeSync Support Lands In Linux 4.21 With Other DRM Updates In Christmas Day Merge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    What left for Wayland-side in KWin/Mutter, to get it work?
    Some KDE developers being interested in it. According to them, it's not a priority. See here.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      you can’t ask every compositor to implement every feature. Don’t underestimate the amount of work.
      Well, sync is quite important IMHO. But what developers prioritize is up to them. Compositor efforts do look resource limited. For instance implementing something like Vulkan backends in common compositors can take a long time still.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post

I wonder if it will be usable in games running in a borderless window too. I'm running some older games in a borderless window using KWin because their built-in fullscreen mode relies on exclusive fullscreen, which works really poorly on Linux.
        X11 doesn’t have an exclusive fullscreen mode. The responsibility of detecting fullscreen windows and switching them to page flipping like MS Windows is up to the driver and window manager. That’s mostly handled well. So if your borderless window covers the screen it will be fine.

What your games are calling fullscreen is probably the normal fullscreen combined with xvidmode or xrandr mode switching, for which X11 was classically agnostic and therefore doesn’t handle well. The best way to handle that, if there are problems, is to switch your desktop to the resolution you want instead of the game doing it and switch back afterward.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I'm sure most of those who have a Freesync-capable display care more about their hardware functioning than if their drivers are open-source, so, they likely opted for the pro drivers.
          I was an early adopter of Freesync hardware. I was running Windows at the time but switched to GNU/Linux full time about a year after that. I prefer open source drivers and have not been using Freesync in the meantime, but I'm glad it's finally coming. The PRO drivers has a performance and convenience disadvantage and the Freesync implementation in that driver has some big shortcomings, so it's not worth it in my opinion. Hopefully it will work much better on the open source drivers and be more like Freesync works on Windows because it is quite good there, and kinda "just works" no matter what application or if it's borderless or exclusive fullscreen. That was not the case in the beginning though because it took them about a year before they implemented things like borderless fullscreen support and low frame rate compensation.

As for the compositor discussion, I think if the compositor supports HW presentation timing and doesn't have any quirks that might interfere with Freesync, it should "just work" without much development effort.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            Mutter seems to have enough developers to get there. Some of them also work on Weston.
            I wish KWin had more resources too.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
              As for the compositor discussion, I think if the compositor supports HW presentation timing and doesn't have any quirks that might interfere with Freesync, it should "just work" without much development effort.
              That sounds good if true!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                FreeSync was developed by AMD and first announced in 2014.
                Here we are 5 years later.
                What a failure when it took Linux a half decade to get this technology.
                Well, at the time that was niche, but nowdays seems massive - 568 monitor models and growing

Different ranges, some only supports it via HDMI, other only via DP, some both (but could be at different range too), some have LFC, some doesn't... and FS2 and HDR of course, at least on FS2 is guaranteed to have LFC
                Last edited by dungeon; 26 December 2018, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Really cool but they still havent fixed the bug where wayland screen just turns off and never comes back. This issue isnt there on Xorg. Anybody knows the bug report for this issue ?

Comment

During 2019 I'd really like to watch video comparison between DXVK games with/without FreeSync/GSync in phoronix.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeioth View Post
                      During 2019 I'd really like to watch video comparison between DXVK games with/without FreeSync/GSync in phoronix.
                      Why? Videos have frame-rates of their own and so does the display you watch them on. The experience can't really be properly conveyed through a video. It needs to be experienced first hand to get a proper impression.

Comment

Working...
                      X