Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeSync Support Lands In Linux 4.21 With Other DRM Updates In Christmas Day Merge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeSync Support Lands In Linux 4.21 With Other DRM Updates In Christmas Day Merge

Phoronix: FreeSync Support Lands In Linux 4.21 With Other DRM Updates In Christmas Day Merge

Linus Torvalds began honoring pull requests on Christmas for the in-development Linux 4.21 kernel. Among the initial pull requests were the Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) driver updates that for this cycle most notably has the long-awaited FreeSync/Adaptive-Sync support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cannot wait for Freesync to roll out on both sides!

Comment

FreeSync was developed by AMD and first announced in 2014.
      Here we are 5 years later.
      What a failure when it took Linux a half decade to get this technology.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I'm pretty sure freesync was/is in the PRO driver since year

Comment

How many years it's been since they started investing more on the open graphics stack, though? I don't think FreeSync was much of a priority since they had to get the important parts to work first, right?

I mean, do you remember the state of things back in 2014?

Comment

It'll be nice to finally use my freesync monitor how it was intended. I'm wondering if it will be enabled on all titles or if it will need a whitelist.
            ​​​​​​
            I guess we will find out more over the next 3 months.

Comment

What left for Wayland-side in KWin/Mutter, to get it work?

Comment

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post
                It'll be nice to finally use my freesync monitor how it was intended. I'm wondering if it will be enabled on all titles or if it will need a whitelist.
                ​​​​​​
                I guess we will find out more over the next 3 months.
                I wonder if it will be usable in games running in a borderless window too. I'm running some older games in a borderless window using KWin because their built-in fullscreen mode relies on exclusive fullscreen, which works really poorly on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                  One of the canonical developers recently said Freesync support on mutter would be trivial.
                  For XWayland apps running under Mutter too?

Comment

Linux desktop users are a somewhat niche market. I don't know what the Linux statistics are of AMD users, but if it's anything like Windows, that's roughly 1/4 of the desktop userbase. Of that population, those who have a Freesync-capable display (and GPU) are only a select few. I'm sure most of those who have a Freesync-capable display care more about their hardware functioning than if their drivers are open-source, so, they likely opted for the pro drivers.
                    All that being said, AMD desktop Linux users who demand an open-source Freesync experience could probably be summed up to just a few hundred people, and even that sounds like a high estimate. Considering they aren't even OGL 4.6 compliant yet and just recently got OCL 2.0, I for one am not opposed to how they prioritized this feature.

EDIT:
                    BTW, the first Freesync-capable displays were released in 2015.
                    Last edited by schmidtbag; 26 December 2018, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X