Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Airlie's LPC2018 Presentation On An "Open-Source CUDA"

Phoronix: David Airlie's LPC2018 Presentation On An "Open-Source CUDA"

Last month at the Linux Plumbers Conference (LPC 2018) was a presentation by Red Hat's open-source graphics driver developer David Airlie on creating a vendor-neutral compute stack that theoretically could take on NVIDIA's CUDA dominance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

An open-source CUDA still exists: OpenCl

Comment

Originally posted by boboviz View Post
      Nope, CUDA brings also a Standard Library with many useful features. OpenCL is just a Basis but without more. Compare it with OpenGL and a Rendering Engine.

Comment

Yes but it was Not Invented Here.

Comment

This is the thought that came to mind first. You also have Vulkan but I always have considered OpenCL to be there specifically to compete with CUDA.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post

Nope, CUDA brings also a Standard Library with many useful features. OpenCL is just a Basis but without more. Compare it with OpenGL and a Rendering Engine.
            I’m not sure I would imply that big of a difference but even if your description holds it doesn’t make sense to start all over. Instead build on OpenCL! Get the community that is using OpenCL now behind you and you might get some real progress maybe even some help!

Now i could be missing something completely here, but at this point another GPU compute project is not needed. At least we don’t need something that ignores current infrastructure.

Comment

I think the problem is that OpenCL is hamstrung by Nvidia, and then they don't upgrade to the new versions either. So has political problems, and essentially dead until the holders of power changes.

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
                I think the problem is that OpenCL is hamstrung by Nvidia, and then they don't upgrade to the new versions either. So has political problems, and essentially dead until the holders of power changes.
                They haven't due to SVM requirement but with OpenCL-Next set to make it optional, I am told they will support OpenCL-Next.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
                  The president of Khronos Group is a Nvidia guy (Trevett), it's strange...

Comment

The president of Khronos Group is a Nvidia guy (Trevett), it's strange...
                    Handy having a inside man, even better when at the top

Comment

Working...
                    X