No announcement yet.

Allwinner "Cedrus" Driver Moving Ahead With H.264 & H.265 Video Decode Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allwinner "Cedrus" Driver Moving Ahead With H.264 & H.265 Video Decode Support

Phoronix: Allwinner "Cedrus" Driver Moving Ahead With H.264 & H.265 Video Decode Support

Merged last month for the Linux 4.20 kernel was The Cedrus VPU driver for Allwinner SoCs that was developed by Bootlin. Initially the video format supported with this kernel is MPEG-2, but H.264 and H.265 support is moving closer to mainline too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Soon on par with years old rpi model a?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
      on par? pfffft. This can do 4k, h265 and vp9.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post

Software support is still lacking.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post

I Agree partially, because support is lacking, but its better than a raspberry Pi.
          The H6 is a nice processor, its a pity that PCIe isn't supported...

I hope this driver will work with H6 even tough it is not mentioned?
          One thign that I don't understand is why all vendors bellow ARM umbrella and using their graphics IP...don't join and release a Graphics Driver...

You have BitFrost on that front, Cedrus,Lima, and so on..

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
            One thign that I don't understand is why all vendors bellow ARM umbrella and using their graphics IP...don't join and release a Graphics Driver...

You have BitFrost on that front, Cedrus,Lima, and so on..
            Almost all of these chips ship in android devices. They get a closed source binary blob that works on android, they don't need any more than that. They don't really care much about linux, android is where the money is made for them. Also arm have a closed source linux binary blob that they can pay for if they want to release a linux device.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
              I hope this driver will work with H6 even tough it is not mentioned?
              It should. In VPU case, Allwinner just added new functionalities on top of older. Except for VP9, which is it's own IP block. It seems to be WebM reference design, but sadly I can't find any open source driver for it, although SoC designer can get it from free...

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                yeah, we can finally throw that shit in a fire where it belongs and use SBCs that have half-decent connectivity.

Comment

Working...
                X