Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X Server 1.6 Beta 2 Now Available

Phoronix: X Server 1.6 Beta 2 Now Available

Following a slight delay, Keith Packard has now tagged the second beta for X Server 1.6 in its git repository branch. Recent the 1.6 server has received updated documentation (just man pages), an upgraded dependence on dri2proto for the continued DRI2 work, and various X Input and XQuartz improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

just a question: does current fglrx driver have support for DRI2? or will we have to wait for AMD to implement it?

Comment

No support for DRI2 today as far as I know. DRI2 is still really in early development today, although that's good 'cause it means "past the prototype stage"

The open source drivers are being used to help work out what the final API details will be; fglrx work will probably only start once the API has settled down.
      Last edited by bridgman; 04 December 2008, 02:55 AM.
      Test signature

Comment

a tricky question ....

Any more or less acurate date when I can try radeon (or radeonhd) driver+ DRI2 ? ... and as try I mean worish state for enduser :P

Comment

Hoping for DRI2 + FGLRX in Ubuntu 9.04!

The new X structure will affect driver performance? (If yes for better or worst?)

Comment

DRI2 works for the radeon driver, but you wouldn't want to use it yet, because the devs are still working on making performance and reliability acceptable (refactoring things to work nicely with DRI2), so the work is still in separate trees.

FGLRX probably won't have DRI2 until sometime next year, and will likely miss the merge window for Ubuntu 9.04. That's why I like distros with rolling releases better.

DRI2 will mean *slightly* worse performance when the dust settles, because it involves an extra step to copy the offscreen buffers to the screen. That said, the impact will probably not be very noticeable.
            Last edited by TechMage89; 04 December 2008, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TechMage89 View Post
              FGLRX probably won't have DRI2 until sometime next year, and will likely miss the merge window for Ubuntu 9.04.
              The fglrx driver will likely not be adopting DRI2.

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              fglrx work will probably only start once the API has settled down.
              Matthew has said something a bit contradictory to that a few days ago.
              Last edited by Michael; 04 December 2008, 12:12 PM.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

So if fglrx won't implement DRI2:

We R7xx user will have to wait for the OSS driver as the last resort. And even if it somehow get out the door, game performance will suck for a long long time (no experience in game 3d driver writing anyone?)

nVidia will surely have its binary driver support DRI2 soon after it's out. So gaming performance won't be affected.

This means Linux gaming == nVidia, just like always

I've been using OSS radeon driver on my X1600XT system and up running for a week it leaks memory like crazy, I will have to force reloading X to get better visual responsiveness, not happy.

IMO if the OSS driver sucks, I'd rather have a binary blob driver that doesn't suck.
                Last edited by FunkyRider; 04 December 2008, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
                  So if fglrx won't implement DRI2:

We R7xx user will have to wait for the OSS driver as the last resort. And even if it somehow get out the door, game performance will suck for a long long time (no experience in game 3d driver writing anyone?)

nVidia will surely have its binary driver support DRI2 soon after it's out. So gaming performance won't be affected.
                  If I understand correctly, the closed drivers implement their own memory managers and DRI infrastructure (at least in part). This means Nvidia won't be adapting DRI2 any more than AMD will.

Comment

Nvidia doesn't use DRI, they have their own system which already supports what DRI2 will bring

Fglrx does use DRI, but doesn't use the mesa 3d stack
                    Also gaming with OSS drivers will improve with gallium

Comment

Working...
                    X