Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 2018 Autumn Linux Driver Update For The ATI RAGE 128 Series

Phoronix: A 2018 Autumn Linux Driver Update For The ATI RAGE 128 Series

The open-source display driver for supporting these graphics cards where 32MB of SDRAM was suitable, 250 nm fabrication was standard, and core clocks around 100MHz were competitive is still being maintained... Two decades after the release of the ATI RAGE series, the open-source Linux driver continues seeing some activity and in fact a new driver release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As an owner of an ancient ATi Rage 128 and being a somewhat active retro-LAN gamer, I actually think this is quite cool news!

Comment

Actually, this might be supported still so as to keep video working for servers of a certain vintage. I do know the Rage XL (derived from the Rage 128 series chipset) was quite prolific in server configs well up to the mid or even late 2000s if I recall correctly. I'm sure many of those boxes are still in active service today, and a Rage 128 driver likely still makes more sense than using a generic framebuffer driver.

Comment

Originally posted by xunil View Post
        As an owner of an ancient ATi Rage 128 and being a somewhat active retro-LAN gamer, I actually think this is quite cool news!
        As a previous owner of a ATI Rage 128 I too think this is pretty cool news. Don't even remember what happened to mine, it was several decades ago

Comment

This image somehow tells me we haven't progressed that much in the last 20 years. Granted, our GPUs are orders of magnitude faster but they are also 5 times bigger and heavier, infinitely louder and practically need a dedicated nuclear power plant to run.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
            This image somehow tells me we haven't progressed that much in the last 20 years. Granted, our GPUs are orders of magnitude faster but they are also 5 times bigger and heavier, infinitely louder and practically need a dedicated nuclear power plant to run.
            You're forgetting about APUs. Those killed off the very bottom segment of the dGPU market, and are vastly more powerful and flexible than the Rage 128, for a TDP that's in the same ballpark.

In terms of dGPUs, I would direct your attention to the GTX 1030:

Accelerate your entire PC experience with the fast, powerful NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 1030 graphics card. Its award-winning NVIDIA Pascal™ architecture, powerful graphics engine, and state-of-the-art technologies give you the performance upgrade you need to drive today’s most demanding PC applications.

The lowest-power modern AMD dGPU is the RX 550. I doubt there are any passively-cooled versions, but keep in mind that AMD also makes APUs.

Comment

Working...
            X