Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arcan 0.5.5 + Durden 0.5 Released - The Display Server Stack Focusing On VR & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arcan 0.5.5 + Durden 0.5 Released - The Display Server Stack Focusing On VR & More

Phoronix: Arcan 0.5.5 + Durden 0.5 Released - The Display Server Stack Focusing On VR & More

Arcan is that display server built originally off a game engine code base and has been building up a feature-set close to that of X11/Wayland. Durden is its accompanying desktop while the project has also been pursuing a virtual reality desktop and trying to work on other innovations in this space...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Impressive! And if I recall correctly works with nvidia drivers too! Something that is still a pain on wayland due to political agenda...

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
      Impressive! And if I recall correctly works with nvidia drivers too! Something that is still a pain on wayland due to political agenda...
      GNOME works on NVIDIA.
      KDE could be said to have a political agenda as they are the only other big DE project.
      Everyone else lacks the manpower to add the support for NVIDIA's own API for Wayland.

One of the reasons Arcan is so cool is that it does not have any legacy to deal with, nor internal strife to decide what it should be done.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        GNOME works on NVIDIA.
        KDE could be said to have a political agenda as they are the only other big DE project.
        Everyone else lacks the manpower to add the support for NVIDIA's own API for Wayland.

One of the reasons Arcan is so cool is that it does not have any legacy to deal with, nor internal strife to decide what it should be done.
        The extra changes for eglstreams/egldevice/... is about ~300loc and can almost be copied and pasted verbatim from the examples in nvidias git repositories. I did it not for a love of nvidia, there's not much of that going around, but having access to their GL stack when debugging advanced stuff really helps. Testing against multiple OSes, CPUarchs, Libcs, GL implementations etc. is a survival strategy to make sure you don't get locked into someone else's political vagenda.

Comment

GNOME works on NVIDIA.
          He said "Something that is still a pain on wayland" so I don't know who you're talking to.

I get that he said "due to political agenda" but what does this have to do with KDE or Gnome? Maybe he was talking about Red Hat. Maybe it was Xorg?

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
            He said "Something that is still a pain on wayland" so I don't know who you're talking to.
            I'm unsure about this, do I need to explain how to read english?

And if I recall correctly works with nvidia drivers too! Something that is still a pain on wayland due to political agenda...

"Something" is used to not repeat "a DE that works with NVIDIA drivers too".

The full, redundant sentence would be:

And if I recall correctly, Arcan works with nvidia drivers too! A DE that works with NVIDIA drivers too is still a pain on wayland due to political agenda...

I get that he said "due to political agenda" but what does this have to do with KDE or Gnome? Maybe he was talking about Red Hat. Maybe it was Xorg?
            It was definitely the Illuminati. I have proof.

That said, I was speculating about what he could have meant by "due to political agenda", afaik the only reasonable answer for that is KDE's "we don't want to support a vendor-specific API in addition to what we have already" decision.

Comment

Actually, the political agenda is Nvidia not wanting to engage around the gbm/eglsteams issue. Read the mailing lists, they just dumped the decision on them in surprise, and also then expected the X maintainers to write and maintain the code. When the maintainers ask what is going on, Nvidia became defensive.

If I get treated like that by anyone, I will not help them, as what they doing are too similar to driving a political agenda, which is toxic.
              In fact, the more one helps them the more toxic the environment becomes, so the best thing one can do is ignore them.

I know people whom left NVidia (as developers) due to the highly toxic environment in there.

Comment

Music from the Amiga version of Cannon Fodder in the video? Cool.

Comment

Originally posted by lem79 View Post
                  Music from the Amiga version of Cannon Fodder in the video? Cool.
                  +1 for the catch. RIP Jools & Jops.

Comment

Working...
                  X