No announcement yet.

Plymouth To Replace USplash In Ubuntu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great, a fancy boot splash to cover up terribly slow boot is extremely important. Rrrrrright.

Comment

Don't think that boot-up time isn't going to get blazing fast. Intel has made too much news with their awesome 4 second Fedora boot time to let that happen.

If it gets in by 9.04, I'll be elated.

Comment

Here's a spoiler for you: it will never get that fast for general-purpose Desktop machines. The 5 seconds were only achieved with a non-generic kernel which statically included all hardware drivers, a custom, stripped down init sequence and a stripped-down X server and desktop environment. Booting will probably get a little bit faster in the future, but not by that much.

Comment

Originally posted by sundown View Post
          Frankly, how is Wubi more important to people like me who run only Linux?
          It's not but linux isn't about what sundown wants.

In short I don't get the whole people bitching about different groups working on different things. The linux philosophy has always been if you want something then contribute code to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ze.. View Post
            The linux philosophy has always been if you want something then contribute code to it.
            And as far as I know Ubunutu is the most famous distro that doesn't contribute anything when it comes to the Linux kernel (or in general) or am I mistaken?

Comment

And as far as I know Ubunutu is the most famous distro that doesn't contribute anything when it comes to the Linux kernel (or in general) or am I mistaken?
              Our users submit more feedback than... yeah, you're mistaken.

Comment

Is 'feedback' 'code' too?

Comment

Is 'feedback' 'code' too?
                  Who cares?

Comment

I don't know, ask Ze..

Comment

It's true.

But it's also true that this observation misses the point. Canonical simply doesn't have the resources to work on the kernel like RedHat or Novell do. However, it has managed to do something that may be even more important in the long run: it has made the general public aware of something called Ubuntu, which is free and competes with the likes of Windows. It's other main contribution is Launchpad, which serves for triaging and coordinating bug reports throughout the linux ecosystem.

Maybe you don't care for any of these, because perhaps you don't use or don't like Ubuntu, but they are necessary if Linux is ever to become useful to the general public.

Comment

Working...
                      X