Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenChrome DRM Driver To Go Through A GEM/TTM Code Rewrite

Phoronix: OpenChrome DRM Driver To Go Through A GEM/TTM Code Rewrite

With the OpenChrome DRM/KMS driver for vintage VIA x86 graphics likely to be mainlined in its current code state, the sole developer left working on this driver is going to next rewrite the TTM/GEM memory management code that he also hopes will help in his new ATI RAGE 128 driver initiative...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would make more sense for ATI RAGE 128 to share code with the radeon driver than the OpenChrome driver. Sharing code between ATI RAGE 128 and OpenChrome is like trying to stuff a square peg into a round hole.

Comment

It would make more sense to just throw all remaining VIA hardware in a fire and be done with it. I'm not against keeping old stuff alive if it wasn't a quirky piece of garbage, like for example old Geodes are still perfectly fine. But VIA stuff... uuuh... just no.

Comment

But why is the Openchrome DRM code synchronized only with the unstable branch? For what reason does it not update the branch on a regular basis? I do not understand.

Today rc8 appeared.

If the chance of its inclusion in the main is equal to zero. For what reason the developer will not provide a patch for one of the stable and longterm kernels. I would use it instead of OpenChrome DDX. I tested and works (there is a problem if the userland is 32-bit and the 64-bit kernel).

Unfortunately, I will not use it with a kernel without security support. Much faster my equipment will go down than I am looking forward to DRM.

Comment

Originally posted by stan View Post
          It would make more sense for ATI RAGE 128 to share code with the radeon driver than the OpenChrome driver. Sharing code between ATI RAGE 128 and OpenChrome is like trying to stuff a square peg into a round hole.
          Perhaps rage128 also uses "legacy KMS interfaces as opposed to atomic mode-setting" amd there is a chance for the two to share code.

Comment

he said "I am now aware of agd5f’s r128 KMS work, but I plan to pursue implementing r128 KMS independent of Radeon DRM.
            I am not really a fan of Radeon DRM’s code complexity and that’s one reason for my decision."

Comment

Originally posted by lepetit View Post

he said "I am now aware of agd5f’s r128 KMS work, but I plan to pursue implementing r128 KMS independent of Radeon DRM.
              I am not really a fan of Radeon DRM’s code complexity and that’s one reason for my decision."
              Well, graphics cards are complex, sometimes you just have to study the code and get over the learning curve. Reinventing the wheel is tempting because you start from scratch and it's your own code, but this isn't ideal because a) it's going to take years and years to catch up to where radeon already is, b) you're probably never going to implement all the features that are already in the radeon driver anyway. Also, if all developers started from scratch, no one would find and fix each other's bugs. From a user's perspective, it is best for developers to build on each other's code.

Comment

Well, graphics cards are complex, sometimes you just have to study the code and get over the learning curve. Reinventing the wheel is tempting because you start from scratch and it's your own code, but this isn't ideal because a) it's going to take years and years to catch up to where radeon already is, b) you're probably never going to implement all the features that are already in the radeon driver anyway. Also, if all developers started from scratch, no one would find and fix each other's bugs. From a user's perspective, it is best for developers to build on each other's code.
                yes it's the idea of open source but it must be remembered that Kevin Brace is not a developer at the base.
                it is already good that he works on old driver to put them a little update.
                and then his work on the drm, will serve him for other drivers.
                he made it clear that his ambition was to update several drivers, like matrox for example.

We can already congratulate him for all the work done on Openchrome, I am looking forward to the drm openchrome in the kernel

I have: a samsung nc20 via nano & vx800
                a via artigo a1155, via nano and vx900
                and a via epia with via nano x2 and vx900

Comment

Working...
                X