Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danielsan
    replied
    But when are they planning to merge xfdesktop into thunar?

Leave a comment:

• bwat47
    replied
    I wonder if we'll ever see 4.14 fully released...

For me the big thing is xfwm 4.14, which adds support for tear-free compositing via opengl or xpresent. I'm not terribly interested in using any desktop that doesn't have tear free out of the box, and I don't want to have to install xfwm from git

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Anvil View Post

there really isnt much difference between 3 an 4, afaik its just Modules
    Yeah, 'cause the addition of GSK isn't anything major... [/sarcasm]

I agree that the differences b/w 3 and 4 are much less than b/w 2 and 3/4, but still, GSK is a major addition and there are lots of new widgets to choose from as well (which might be worth looking into when porting as there might be new widgets that are more suited for your app(s) than the old ones).

Leave a comment:

• vwtch
    replied
    I've always wondered why wmctrl is not a part of the XFCE build. Hiding the struts does not work without it. wmctrl is often talked about: https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=12202

Leave a comment:

• euler271
    replied
    Originally posted by creative View Post
    Been using xfce forever. I see no reason to use anything fancier even on an i7.
    Agree. I use xfce on all my machines (at least the ones with a DE), from my ryzen 7 1700 system to my many atom-based old netbooks, and all of them work just great, no lag or anything. The new thunar already arrived a few days ago at the Arch [extra] repository, and it's looking great.
    BTW, I'd like to know if any Arch user can tell me how to update to the git version of xfce using the AUR, I could always update each individual component to their '-git' version, but is there a 'bundle' PKGBUILD out there? Any way, nice release, let's hope they get to 4.14 soon.

Leave a comment:

• Anvil
    replied
    Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
    I wonder if they'll have it ported to GTK3 before GTK4 is out...
    there really isnt much difference between 3 an 4, afaik its just Modules

Leave a comment:

• necrophcodr
    replied
    Originally posted by creative View Post
    I'm on an AMD FX 8350, but I'm not using XFCE because of that either. The latest KDE runs perfect on my system as well, but XFCE is simply more to my liking. XFCE will of course also run on my old 2012 Acer netbook with a dual core AMD C-60 with a whopping 800Mhz clock speed, so it does allow me to keep the same flexible environment for my workflows, and THAT is a huge plus.

Leave a comment:

• ptyerman
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

KDE 3 isn't fully demised. It lives on in TDE. Yes, I know it doesn't have the development power that MATE has, but there are frequent commits and they've added support for modern hardware in the last couple of months (like screen brightness keys on laptops, for example) and it's rock solid.
    Yeah, I used Trinity for a short while soon after its release but moved on soon after. Haven't looked back since switching to XFCE, it does everything I need, stays out the way, and looks great after a bit of tweaking.

Leave a comment:

• creative
    replied

Leave a comment:

• creative
    replied
    I absolutely love XFCE. Only DE I use besides it is i3 when I feel in a tiling ultra minimal mood. I tried Gnome 3.28 a bit back and it was very nice but XFCE does it for me. I first got hooked on it with ubuntu studios heads up layout.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X