Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H.264 Decoding Tackled For Reverse-Engineered "Cedrus" Allwinner Video Decode Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H.264 Decoding Tackled For Reverse-Engineered "Cedrus" Allwinner Video Decode Driver

Phoronix: H.264 Decoding Tackled For Reverse-Engineered "Cedrus" Allwinner Video Decode Driver

The Bootlin (formerly Free Electrons) developers working on the Cedrus open-source, reverse-engineered Allwinner video decode driver have posted their patches for enabling H.264 video decoding...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by tichun
    They can reverse-engineer it with 13 people in the company, but AMD cannot provide it for their own gcn1 devices? Weird.
    They did a crowdfunding for it, probably AMD needs to do the same

Comment

And right from the beginning they use a API that its legacy.

but AMD cannot provide it for their own gcn1 devices? Weird.
      Uh? In Radeonsi is Support available, or not? The Code should be present but someone has to port it to amdgpu
      Last edited by Nille; 14 June 2018, 07:23 AM.

Comment

They can reverse-engineer it with 13 people in the company, but AMD cannot provide it for their own gcn1 devices? Weird.
        you do realise that GCN 1.0 parts were released more than 6 years ago yeah? and were superseded nearly 5 years ago...

I am sure support for it will come in time, but for now I would love to see them wrangle more performance out of the latest stuff!

Comment

It is ported to amdgpu unofficially for like two years[…]
          No GCN 1.0 dosn't work because they are missing some 40bit firmware. The enablement is a wip from a year and not two ago that is stalled because of the missing firmware. With RadeonSI the uvd works, but there is no vulkan support. I think Christian König wanted to check with the legal team for the 40bit firmware, but that was one year ago.

Comment

Is IT possible to Port to Raspberry Pi and openelec?

Comment

Originally posted by predator7 View Post
              Is IT possible to Port to Raspberry Pi and openelec?
              Raspberry Pi doesn't use Allwinner SoC.... So no, it doesn't have the same video decode hardware. OpenELEC meanwhile is a Linux distribution that when it pulls in the kernel patches or a supported mainline kernel, it would have this driver.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Full decode and encode capabilities are supported on GCN 1.0 devices with the radeon driver.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                  Full decode and encode capabilities are supported on GCN 1.0 devices with the radeon driver.
                  But with that you lose Vulkan. I am still hoping AMD manages to release the compatible firmware. So GCN 1.0 users like the ones who brought the barely three years old R9 370X can enjoy video acceleration and Vulkan.

Comment

It is ported to amdgpu unofficially for like two years, I'm even on amdgpu-pro(here it's official) currently, and vdpauinfo shows support for MPEG1, MPEG2_SIMPLE, MPEG2_MAIN.
                    In the old radeon driver, there are a few h.264 and a bit more, but they don't work. All videos played are mostly pink and cpu usage is as high or higher than without it, I mean playback through Epiphany or Chromium-beta with video decode.
                    Those apps both use gstreamer, right? I've had a lot of trouble with hardware decoding on my AMD R9 Fury with anything that uses gstreamer, but mpv and ffmpeg works flawlessly.

Comment

Working...
                    X