The Big DRM Updates For Linux 4.18: Intel Icelake, Vega M, Vega 20 & V3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big DRM Updates For Linux 4.18: Intel Icelake, Vega M, Vega 20 & V3D

Phoronix: The Big DRM Updates For Linux 4.18: Intel Icelake, Vega M, Vega 20 & V3D

David Airlie, the subsystem maintainer for the Direct Rendering Manager, has submitted the big feature pull request today for the Linux 4.18 kernel. All of the DRM feature work yields a net gain of close to fifty-thousand lines of code for this cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If we take out Drivers, File System, what exactly is left in Linux? I haven't seen improvement in other area for ages.

Comment

Originally posted by ksec View Post
      If we take out Drivers, File System, what exactly is left in Linux? I haven't seen improvement in other area for ages.
      Scheduler, network subsystem, I/O handling, etc...

However, we should keep the kernel lean and mean as that increases performance and reduces the total fault area.

Comment

Originally posted by ksec View Post
        Phoronix very rarely covers other areas of the linux kernel but improvements in those areas happen at a steady pace, even if somewhat slower than in video and sound. I am a regular LWN reader and they cover most of the major stuff that's happening in the kernel area of Linux. Most of the time with examples as well or a technical discussion about the impact of those changes, if you are in any way technical you should give it a shot as well.

Comment

- Vega power profile / clock voltage control improvements.
          I don't suppose this includes the ability to echo power state voltages and clock speeds to pp_od_clk_voltage?

Comment

Working...
          X