Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Evdev Driver Updated, Libinput 1.11 Prepares For Rollout With Record & Replay Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evdev Driver Updated, Libinput 1.11 Prepares For Rollout With Record & Replay Support

Phoronix: Evdev Driver Updated, Libinput 1.11 Prepares For Rollout With Record & Replay Support

Peter Hutterer at Red Hat remains quite busy near single-handedly improving the Linux desktop input stack...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...nput-1.11-Soon

" for recording and replaying back of input events". Presumably it's saving keystrokes (events) to a file (recording). I hope this key logger is being designed carefully such that it:

- it isn't compiled into the library for release builds (it's for debugging and testing so it shouldn't be)
    - is off by default
    - can't be toggled on by unprivileged processes
    - can't be easily and accidentally toggled on by unwitting users.
    - the event file (containing keystrokes) has appropriate permissions.

I'm suddenly reminded of that debugging feature one of the mobile phone OSs had where it logged raw GPS data to a file which could be ex-filtrated by malicious apps.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
      " for recording and replaying back of input events". Presumably it's saving keystrokes (events) to a file (recording). I hope this key logger is being designed carefully such that it:

- it isn't compiled into the library for release builds (it's for debugging and testing so it shouldn't be)
      - is off by default
      - can't be toggled on by unprivileged processes
      - can't be easily and accidentally toggled on by unwitting users.
      - the event file (containing keystrokes) has appropriate permissions.

I'm suddenly reminded of that debugging feature one of the mobile phone OSs had where it logged raw GPS data to a file which could be ex-filtrated by malicious apps.
      My sentiments exactly. I REALLY hope this guy is putting a extra effort to make sure this will not blow up on the users faces in the future.

Comment

I really want this record/replay input feature. This could be used as a primitive method to automate complex tasks on webpages or games.

Comment

I just tested it in Fedora and I have to take my hat off to Peter. My touchpad is now better on Fedora than it is on Windows. I think it's comparable to my MacBook's touchpad on OS X now, precision-wise.

Comment

Working...
          X