No announcement yet.

X.Org Server 1.20 "Avocado Toast" Released With DRI3 v1.2, VR Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So how much closer to VR on Windows is Linux now with xorg 1.20? What else is needed to be done or are we solid now?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Plus the odd Canadian.

I couldn't believe people actually pay money in restaurants for avocado toast, and nearly fell off my chair when I saw prices like $19 and $22.
      There are only about 4000+ different recipes for avocado toast. The most expensive avocado toast I know of goes for 100 dollars it does contain real food grade gold. Of course gold adds absolutely nothing to the taste and fairly much nothing to the texture and worse being mixed in with the avocado you are going to have a hard time even seeing this has to be the most wasteful usage of good grade gold. One of the restaurants I knew of had only 8 different avocado toasts on the menu starting at 5 dollars for plain and all the way up to 30 dollars with difference spices and things. Basically avocado toast are almost as bad as pizza food description.

Toast of some bread and avocado as item binding everything after that who knows what you are getting if they say you are getting avocado toast. Some how is a really good description for X11.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
        Anyone know where to get the Intel drivers from for this? I've already built the new X.org server and NVIDIA drivers. Need Intel and xinput for my laptop.
        What do you still need the intel drivers for these days? Are there still any advantages over glamor?

Comment

I have no preference for what gets installed as long as it supports GLVND and will let me use an NVIDIA desktop card and my laptop's intel card at the same time.

Comment

Is there a way to switch back to extended mode from direct? After updating Xorg my vive is stuck in direct mode.

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
              Is there a way to switch back to extended mode from direct? After updating Xorg my vive is stuck in direct mode.
              xrandr --output HDMI-A-0 --set non-desktop 0

It's unfortunate that radv doesn't have the vulkan extensions mainline yet (and maybe libxcb needs to be recompiled with new xcb-proto) and xf86-video-amdgpu doesn't seem to get the patches..

I wrote a summary: https://haagch.frickel.club/#!drmlease.md

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
                So how much closer to VR on Windows is Linux now with xorg 1.20? What else is needed to be done or are we solid now?
                That's "just" direct mode for radeon (and intel) GPUs. The proprietary driver had this from the beginning (~february 2017).

The main benefit is that now you don't need to disable the desktop compositor (causes terrible latency) and it should not tear because with drm leases it should be able to use pageflipping which supposedly does not work on a normal extended X desktop.

For applications that run with good performance it's already "solid".
                I don't know if the steamvr compositor vulkan renderer is as performant as the d3d11 version on windows (I think it's using that there), so it's possible there is room for improvement there. But it's closed source so we wouldn't know.
                Unity and Unreal Engine Vulkan renderes can still be improved and perhaps there could still be major performance improvements.

So that's probably the main part.

For AMD there has also been some work to have "high priority" rendering which can be used via a Vulkan extension: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa....0.63-Released. I'm not sure if it's actually enabled. There's a not really documented setting https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ope...openvr.h#L2081 "enableLinuxVulkanAsync" that you can set in ~/.local/share/Steam/config/steamvr.vrsettings. It has "access control" so only root and a drm master can use the high priority rendering but a drm lease should have drm master so it should work. But current steamvr beta still can not make use of it so I just reported it as an issue: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Ste...nux/issues/107

It's still a bit unclear if drm lease + high priority rendering is exactly equivalent to asynchronous reprojection on windows. Since neither Oculus, Valve or even OSVR have released full info on what it actually does, we don't really know...

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
                  xrandr --output HDMI-A-0 --set non-desktop 0

It's unfortunate that radv doesn't have the vulkan extensions mainline yet (and maybe libxcb needs to be recompiled with new xcb-proto) and xf86-video-amdgpu doesn't seem to get the patches..

I wrote a summary: https://haagch.frickel.club/#!drmlease.md
                  Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
                    The main benefit is that now you don't need to disable the desktop compositor (causes terrible latency) and it should not tear because with drm leases it should be able to use pageflipping which supposedly does not work on a normal extended X desktop.

For applications that run with good performance it's already "solid".

Unity and Unreal Engine Vulkan renderes can still be improved and perhaps there could still be major performance improvements.

So that's probably the main part.

It's still a bit unclear if drm lease + high priority rendering is exactly equivalent to asynchronous reprojection on windows. Since neither Oculus, Valve or even OSVR have released full info on what it actually does, we don't really know...
                    Ah ok So some of this will just work with 1.20 or we still need others to actively make changes to use the new features? I haven't got a VR headset myself yet and at work we only have Windows, but I'd like to be able to run the UE4 stuff at similar perf on Linux some day and add Linux as supported on Steam releases.

I guess for now I'll just look forward to a new phoronix article on state of VR on linux in future

Comment

This update seem to have broken Steam for me, while running GNOME Wayland on Debian Sid. It starts, but after a minute or so it freezes and I have to 'kill -n 9 <pid>'.

Comment

Working...
                      X