The Shiny New Features Of X.Org Server 1.20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
    Those feature will take YEARS to reach an LTS. Such a shame.
    Then don't ship your LTS distro before that Xorg release, duh, esp. if your LTS distro defaults to Xorg.

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
    Hopefully they never will... And we get Wayland instead...
    You obviously did not even bother to read the article. Most changes are about XWayland.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Because they lack manpower. Releases eat up time and effort, and nobody has the time to deal with them. We're only getting one now because Red Hat wanted it out and they're paying the guy who's doing it.
      Will that improve now that they are switching to Meson?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        Then don't ship your LTS distro before that Xorg release, duh, esp. if your LTS distro defaults to Xorg.
        I don't use Ubuntu but I don't blame them. X.org releases are really too inconstant to rely on them.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

I don't use Ubuntu but I don't blame them. X.org releases are really too inconstant to rely on them.
          Plus, they can upgrade to X.Org 1.20 during a Hardware Enablement Stack point release. IE 18.04.1 will probably include X.Org 1.20. So it's no biggy.

I often try out new Ubuntu releases, and I've noticed that on launch they are often quite buggy. The worse bugs are usually gone after some months. So it's probably good practise for end users to wait for the first point release anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
            Plus, they can upgrade to X.Org 1.20 during a Hardware Enablement Stack point release. IE 18.04.1 will probably include X.Org 1.20. So it's no biggy.
            Likely not first but second point so 18.04.2 or whatever at the time as HWEs happens about 3 months after 18.10... so we are talking about next year

Yes, it is not a biggy major LTS/enterpsises will have next year. This Ubuntu LTS, Debian 10.... probably even that long awaited RHEL8 Simply because these distros does not push releases without testing it thoroughly.
            Last edited by dungeon; 04 May 2018, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

You obviously did not even bother to read the article. Most changes are about XWayland.
              I did see that some were about XWayland, but i didn't got the feeling that most were about it. Yes, because i didn't pay much attention.
              That makes it a bit more important for sure. But i do still prefer native Wayland over XWayland.
              That said, obviously i was exaggerating when i said that hopefully the changes never come... the point i really wanted to make is that i can't wait for Wayland to be mainstream, which finally seems near...

Comment

Originally posted by woebegone View Post
                Forgive the naive question, but will this update allow the playback (or passthrough?) of HDR 2160p video with something like mpv and ffmpeg? I understand that DeepColor is somewhat related to this? If someone could explain I would be very grateful.

Thanks
                Somewhat, but they have always had support for the depth 30. To get HDR, they also need to support very specific encodings either depth 64 with 4xFP16, or a scrgb depth 30 encoding. The thing is besides move precision HDR has this thing where it has values brigther than (1.0, 1.0, 1.0) which means you need encodings that are interpreted absolute instead of relative.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleksei View Post

Will that improve now that they are switching to Meson?
                  Not likely. X is a dying project, and not because they use autoconf. It's because it's been obsolete for 15 years.

It will continue along in maintenance mode for decades to come, but there's not going to be any great influxes of developers. Once XWayland settles down and Wayland starts to be used more, there will likely be a lot less need for frequent updates, though.

Comment

Working...
                  X