The Shiny New Features Of X.Org Server 1.20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aleksei View Post
    Does anyone know why they accumulate so many features in a 1-2 year release cycle instead of doing more intermediate releases? Just curious.
    This. Those feature will take YEARS to reach an LTS. Such a shame.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Hopefully Michael would soon write also "The Shiny Breakages Of X.Org Server 1.20"

I am sure this would need a good amount of point releases, so that average Joe could be happy with it

Comment

Meanwhile, i'm sitting here, waiting for Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

This. Those feature will take YEARS to reach an LTS. Such a shame.
          Hopefully they never will... And we get Wayland instead...

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
            Meanwhile, i'm sitting here, waiting for Wayland.
            I assume this will be soon followed by 3 people posting that they've been using Wayland for a long time now. They will be followed by two more people complaining about how if anything in Wayland crashes it takes Wayland down with it. I don't know enough to want to try Wayland till the arguments subside in a few more years (Ubuntu 20.04 I'm thinking).

Comment

You want those features ESPECIALLY if you are going to use Wayland, because of XWayland...
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Who are we? Wayland is not for everybody, i even think distros who ship it by default will require Photosensitive Seizure Warning during boot since it forces compositor

Of course that warning will also slow down boot time, as it would be required at least 10 seconds sleep for average IQ Joe to be able to read it I am even more for total stop of boot with concrete input Yes/No buttons, so if user does not agree to be able to turn computer off properly
                Last edited by dungeon; 03 May 2018, 04:37 PM.

Comment

So, no HDR support yet? I guess it still just a few unimplemented proposals.

Comment

Forgive the naive question, but will this update allow the playback (or passthrough?) of HDR 2160p video with something like mpv and ffmpeg? I understand that DeepColor is somewhat related to this? If someone could explain I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Aleksei View Post
                      Does anyone know why they accumulate so many features in a 1-2 year release cycle instead of doing more intermediate releases? Just curious.
                      Because they lack manpower. Releases eat up time and effort, and nobody has the time to deal with them. We're only getting one now because Red Hat wanted it out and they're paying the guy who's doing it.

Comment

Working...
                      X