Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server 1.20 To Be Released In The Days Ahead

Phoronix: X.Org Server 1.20 To Be Released In The Days Ahead

X.Org Server 1.19 was released 18 months ago and in the days ahead will finally be succeeded by the long-awaited X.Org Server 1.20 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That'd be nice if it was in Ubuntu 18.04. I'm really enjoying Ubuntu Studio 18.04 with the Unity desktop, default Mesa and kernel stack on my Vega 56. Super smooth, responsive, sensible window management. Such a shame they moved to gnome-shell, which seems to be a lot less fluid than Unity (I have a 144Hz screen, and it looks like gnome-shell doesn't move faster than 60?).

Comment

It's still not ready. With the Modesetting DDX, there are freezes in Plasmashell and the native Steam client. With the Intel DDX (which has only recently started working with the latest RC) each time the monitor turns back on, you're left with a black screen and the cursor, requiring a VT switch to go back to normal. Also Vulkan apps don't launch under the Intel DDX

Comment

gnome-shell or Mutter still doesn't use same window animation when moving windows with shortcut keys such as Ctrl+Alt+Right.
        gnome-shell or Mutter still places windows a bit weirdly, maybe its just modals?

I would love to use Wayland, but I still use X.Org 1.19. Too bad X.Org 1.20 didn't arrive in time for Ubuntu 18.04.

Comment

Originally posted by lem79 View Post
          That'd be nice if it was in Ubuntu 18.04. I'm really enjoying Ubuntu Studio 18.04 with the Unity desktop, default Mesa and kernel stack on my Vega 56. Super smooth, responsive, sensible window management. Such a shame they moved to gnome-shell, which seems to be a lot less fluid than Unity (I have a 144Hz screen, and it looks like gnome-shell doesn't move faster than 60?).
          I'm with AMD graphics and a high refresh rate as well. Unity was never smooth for me and it keept resetting to 60hz unless I applied ugly hacks. When I switched to GNOME (at the time it was Ubuntu-GNOME 17.04) everything suddenly just worked and was super smooth. No ugly hacks needed. That's GNOME on x.org though. GNOME on Wayland does not work well on high refresh rates and xwayland apps are locked to 60fps.

TLDR
          High refresh rate display? Use GNOME on x.org and avoid GNOME on Wayland or Unity.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

I'm with AMD graphics and a high refresh rate as well. Unity was never smooth for me and it keept resetting to 60hz unless I applied ugly hacks. When I switched to GNOME (at the time it was Ubuntu-GNOME 17.04) everything suddenly just worked and was super smooth. No ugly hacks needed. That's GNOME on x.org though. GNOME on Wayland does not work well on high refresh rates and xwayland apps are locked to 60fps.

TLDR
            High refresh rate display? Use GNOME on x.org and avoid GNOME on Wayland or Unity.
            Yeah I used to have to use xrandr -r 120 to set my display to 120Hz for Unity/compiz to be smooth on my Radeons pre-18.04. Now though, 18.04 is the first time where it works at 144Hz out of the box, no PPAs, no tweaking, just buttery smooth. Gnome-Shell on x.org was better than Wayland for sure (the latter having terrible jitters), but still neither are good compared to Unity in 18.04 for me.

Comment

The XWayland improvements sounds quite important and I'm happy that they finally will release X.org 1.20. Especially because of XWayland I would have wished that they release more frequent, this stack is getting more and more important and even small improvements make a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                It's still not ready. With the Modesetting DDX, there are freezes in Plasmashell and the native Steam client. With the Intel DDX (which has only recently started working with the latest RC) each time the monitor turns back on, you're left with a black screen and the cursor, requiring a VT switch to go back to normal. Also Vulkan apps don't launch under the Intel DDX
                Did you experience the freezes on Plasma Wayland or X11? I would have hoped that at least the modesetting driver got enough quality tests.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

Did you experience the freezes on Plasma Wayland or X11? I would have hoped that at least the modesetting driver got enough quality tests.
                  Plasma X11, I've reported the bugs and I've been on IRC and the mailing lists a lot. I keep trying Plasma Wayland, it just isn't baked yet - I should really start filing bugs but there's so many glaring issues it really still feels like a technical preview.

Comment

Working...
                  X