Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dungeon
    replied
    What do you expect, AMD on Windows makes you one driver recipe per laptop lifetime Eventually there might be another one, only if customers complain too much or if OS really breaks something, but that is all.

That is what should be on linux nowdays also for laptops, one long term kernel supported, one stronK recipe around that and good bye

Wanna rolling instead? Cool, then just bookmark bugzillas and file at least 10 bugs per quartal
    Last edited by dungeon; 22 April 2018, 11:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• xiando
    replied
    That's a pretty horrible "recipe" for some of us. I have a laptop with a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5500U CPU and
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 5500 (rev 09)

I upgraded to Fedora 28 Beta yesterday and got the 4.16.3 kernel. Xorg froze a few minutes after logging in, tried a few times and this happened every time. My system still had the 4.15.17 kernel from Fedora 27 and Xorg works as fine as it's done for a few years now after booting into that. I have no idea what Intel did wrong in the 4.16 kernels but for the chip I've got it's a totally useless kernel.

If someone's curious exactly what's wrong with 4.16 then I can't help you, so sorry. The computer totally freezes. No ssh, no switching to a terminal with ctl-alt-f2, no nothing, it just hangs on X and there's no more information to be had, nothing is written to logs and nothing can be revealed. On this the good old Wintendo 98 was better since it would give some information on the screen (apparently this has changed and the latest wintendo just tells you Oops something went wrong).

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Intel 2018Q1 Graphics Stack Recipe

Intel 2018Q1 Graphics Stack Recipe

Phoronix: Intel 2018Q1 Graphics Stack Recipe

Last week Intel's Open-Source Technology Center released their latest quarterly "graphics stack recipe" for the Linux desktop...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...8Q1-Gfx-Recipe
Working...
X