X.Org Server 1.20 RC4 Released, EGLStreams For XWayland Might Still Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lucrus View Post

I'm not trying anything like that. I'm only trying to make linux users aware of what freedom is.
    Sure. Freedom is when private company doesn't have to obey decision of some committee and wayland developers have to fix incompatibility themselves. All this situation is actually great lesson of freedom, it teaches us that you have to be at least as high as Microsoft or Apple before you start arm-twisting.

Comment

Merging EGLstream support would be a worrying capitulation to Nvidia's douchbaggery. Why does this one guy get to decide on a whim whether a major part of the Linux ecosystem gets screwed or not? This seems like something that should be put to a vote, or at least discussed on the mailing list amongst the Xorg/Wayland contributors.

Comment

Originally posted by Khrundel View Post
        No sane person, who need performant 3d will buy AMD card. Sorry. Too slow, too noisy, too expensive.
        Stop crying and use Windows then...

Comment

I'm having issues with the Xserver 1.20 candidates, which I've raised a bug for. With most of the work landing quite recently I hope they don't rush this out the door with known bugs

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post

You're wrong. As long as Linux is about FOSS, Linux is much like a religious cult. If you aren't such a believer, you can always use Windows and NVidia cards and you'll be happy. For others NVidia is devil.
            I use Linux because I am comfortable with its internals and how it works. I spent 10 years before that from windows 3 till windows XP and it was very frustrating.
            Also the main reason Linux still exists is that it is freely available platform that companies can base paid products (servers, routers, etc...) on.

Comment

Where is the motivation for nVidia to follow through on their promises if this is merged? As for lack of accelerated nVidia support hurting Wayland adoption ... ha ... not likely. Wayland adoption will pick up when all the major *functionality* falls into place ... which will be pretty soon, hence distros planning to flip to Wayland by default. nVidia users will either have to deal with software rendering, or switch back to X by default. So a handful of Linux users with nVidia GPUs will not be using Wayland, sure. That's really not the end of the world, and in no way stops the majority of Linux users from moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                Why does this one guy get to decide on a whim whether a major part of the Linux ecosystem gets screwed or not?
                That's ridiculous. No one's getting screwed if it gets merged. If you don't like it, don't use it. Whether it gets merged or not has nothing to do with ideological reasons.

Originally posted by lucrus
                It's not like Wayland is the only choice. No one is forced to adopt Wayland here and now. In contrast, merging EGLStreams will only hurt the ecosystem, by endorsing NVidia policies.
                Are you the same Lucio guy that subscribed to the mailing list to tell the devs how evil EGLStreams is? If so, please don't waste their time with that crap. They don't care. If you have something technical to say about the code, that's great, but don't try to start a holy war on the Xorg mailing list FFS.

Comment

Do not merge it and kill it with fire.
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I don't get the fuss about it. If you want decent desktop performance and experience, you don't use binary blob drivers with shitty QA anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

That's ridiculous. No one's getting screwed if it gets merged. If you don't like it, don't use it. Whether it gets merged or not has nothing to do with ideological reasons.
                      My reasoning isn't ideological, it's technical. See the KDE devs opinion on this subject, I agree with that pretty much 100%, and he has far more authority on this subject than me.

If it gets merged, it has to be supported for the forseeable future. And given how long X has been around, that could be ~30 years or more.

It needs to be aborted now before it gains any traction.

Do not merge it and kill it with fire.
                      Amen

Comment

Working...
                      X