X.Org Server's Meson Build System Almost To Feature Parity With Autotools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server's Meson Build System Almost To Feature Parity With Autotools

Phoronix: X.Org Server's Meson Build System Almost To Feature Parity With Autotools

It looks like the much-delayed X.Org Server 1.20 release with its initial Meson build system support will almost be to feature parity with the server's Autotools build system integration...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Mentalist View Post
    Buildstream, Meson, Gitlab. The future.
    *GitHub

Comment

Originally posted by brrrrttttt View Post
      *GitHub
      *Gitlab

Comment

Whether Meson succeeds or not depends on how Canonical (= anti midas, everything they touch turns into a turd) likes it.

Comment

Big mistake not going with CMake.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
            Big mistake not going with CMake.
            Meson has its advantages over CMake. There's drawbacks too, other people have said Meson has good documentation, I've found it to be terrible. The lack of good tutorials hurts it for my personal use too (though I've supported it in my latest project).

But the big advantage is build time. And on a codebase the size of Xorg, that is a big advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
              Meson has its advantages over CMake. There's drawbacks too, other people have said Meson has good documentation, I've found it to be terrible. The lack of good tutorials hurts it for my personal use too (though I've supported it in my latest project)..
              It is a very simple language, using templates you have a starting point in one command
              Code:
              meson init --language=c --name=myproject --version=0.1
              Beyond that reference gets you most places IME: http://mesonbuild.com/Reference-manual.html

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                Whether Meson succeeds or not depends on how Canonical (= anti midas, everything they touch turns into a turd) likes it.
                Canonical isn't an anti-Midas, what turns into a turd is their own little NIH projects.

Comment

Originally posted by brrrrttttt View Post
                  *GitHub
                  Bad comparison. Github is a cloud-based source code hosting service, Gitlab is a server-side software you can use to make your own Github-like web-based git repository server with issue tracker and documentation wiki (similar to Github).

Being what it is, Github can't get even remotely near what Gitlab allows you to do as there you own the server.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                    This has very little to do with Canonical. I'm sorry to take away your convenient scapegoat.

Comment

Working...
                    X