X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• polarathene
    replied
    Originally posted by leipero View Post
    polarathene That makes sense, so GPU isn't a problem on that machine (apart from video RAM, that might be actual RAM shared idk.), but rather CPU and the way OS is installed (USB 2.0 stick instead of internal storage). For example HD 4350 can play 1080p+ videos without breaking a sweat.
    Yes, initially CPU usage was higher due to youtube serving VP9 and the lack of hardware accel, even for h264 encoded video(I wasn't aware that browsers still didn't support this, required third party patch for Arch at least). The disk I/O seemed to be the main perf issue, again, I didn't suspect that a browser wrote so much so often at idle on a single tab, offloading to RAM via tmpfs resolved it, probably a non-issue if running off an internal HDD/SSD.

Leave a comment:

• leipero
    replied
    polarathene That makes sense, so GPU isn't a problem on that machine (apart from video RAM, that might be actual RAM shared idk.), but rather CPU and the way OS is installed (USB 2.0 stick instead of internal storage). For example HD 4350 can play 1080p+ videos without breaking a sweat.

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    I don't know about KDE, but for Chromium on HD 4350 hardware acceleration was disabled (last time I've checked = 5+ months ago), simply changing "Override software rendering list" option to enabled in "chrome://flags/" improves performance of the browser a lot (and that PC is used mostly for browser based flash games, all of them working quite well after this is done).
    That tip isn't relevant to what I was talking of, it was reporting errors with the driver implementation being incorrect and different workarounds it'd apply or something. Which I was a bit surprised to see as I thought the driver being maintained so long wouldn't be popping up all of that. Didn't seem to cause any noticeable issues though, so no problem with that.

Actual performance was fine apart from 720p video playback. I enabled other hardware accel features like the one you mentioned at one point but I don't think they made that much of a difference to the experience, plus with the youtube video playing fullscreen I was seeing in radeontop about 200MB+ used of vRAM out of the available 256MB, so offloading more to the GPU was putting it close to using up the vRAM which I assume isn't good if it runs out of free vRAM?

I did use a patched version in third party repo to get hardware accel video with vaapi enabled. Chromium will hopefully make the patch officially sometime this year to not require it. That brought down CPU usage by about 20%, and an extensino h26ify to prevent youtube providing VP9 videos which don't seem to have hardware decode on the GPU. So instead of hitting 100% CPU or close to, video playback was about 30-50% CPU across the two cores.

That still wasn't enough though. Turned out the biggest issue for playback issues(audio worked fine but frames would stall/freeze for several seconds), was disk I/O from the browser. The OS was installed to a USB 2.0 stick, writing over 16MB seemed to be a problem and iotop showed chromium would regularly write 6MB over 30 seconds, sometimes even 22MB or more. Offloaded the browser profile and cache to RAM with a helpful package profile-sync-daemon. It would use overlayFS and sync back the difference to disk each hour or when browser was closed or system shutdown. No more issues after this change, works well.

Oh and it's an old laptop, I don't see the GPU being upgraded, I've got a much more powerful desktop system I usually use.

Leave a comment:

• leipero
    replied
    Originally posted by grok View Post

A bit slow at running the old counterstrike (expected : 100 fps at 1024x768. got slow downs well below 60..). Will try again on Ubuntu 18.04?
    Having access to clocks would be nice because perhaps the RAM is set to something low. Otherwise yes it worked.
    I could get another GPU, but on "old" desktops like that the more pressing issue is slowly dying hard drives
    Old Counter Strike like 1.6 or Source? 1.6 should work just fine, I mean it can work on far worse GPU's hitting locked 100FPS without any FPS drop, Source would be pushing it.

Leave a comment:

• grok
    replied

I don't know what you expect from such GPU, it was low-end GPU when it came out, that being said, I have HD 4350 (weaker than 5450) on spare PC and it can run Gnome-Shell without much problem (assuming vblank is off in both driver and clutter).
    A bit slow at running the old counterstrike (expected : 100 fps at 1024x768. got slow downs well below 60..). Will try again on Ubuntu 18.04?
    Having access to clocks would be nice because perhaps the RAM is set to something low. Otherwise yes it worked.
    I could get another GPU, but on "old" desktops like that the more pressing issue is slowly dying hard drives

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by baka0815 View Post
    Would love to, but an AMD RX580 retails somewhere between 400 and 600 EUR in Germany...
    These who bought RX 480 back in 2016. for $199 must be quite happy

Leave a comment:

• leipero
    replied
    Originally posted by grok View Post
    The 5450 performs like crap, would need overclocking? On the lowest end there can be hundreds of MHz left on the vine, even for memory.
    I don't know what you expect from such GPU, it was low-end GPU when it came out, that being said, I have HD 4350 (weaker than 5450) on spare PC and it can run Gnome-Shell without much problem (assuming vblank is off in both driver and clutter).

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
    The old Core2Duo laptop I have with r600g ATI graphics seems to not render plasma themes on KDE that well. No idea why they look different than what they're meant to. Also Chromium chrome://gpu reports a tonne of issues with the driver not implementing things correctly.

All that aside, the GPU works amazing on the dated hardware and performance is good with no major issues, thanks to all contributors
    I don't know about KDE, but for Chromium on HD 4350 hardware acceleration was disabled (last time I've checked = 5+ months ago), simply changing "Override software rendering list" option to enabled in "chrome://flags/" improves performance of the browser a lot (and that PC is used mostly for browser based flash games, all of them working quite well after this is done).

That being said, for compatibility sake, it would be wise to go fo low to mid-range GCN 1.2+ GPU when/if prices get to normality, and since even HD 4350 is suficient enough for single display workflow with compositing and stuff, HD 6770 is more than sufficient, so there's no need for hurry, just consider it in some not so distant future (paying rent and stuff doesn't help either lol).

Anyway, great news, and year based versioning is more sane and logical for DDX, if ever needed to be updated few times per year, point versions would solve that problem.

Leave a comment:

• baka0815
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    it's really getting time to start thinking about a hardware upgrade.
    Would love to, but an AMD RX580 retails somewhere between 400 and 600 EUR in Germany...

Leave a comment:

• V10lator
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    If you are still using the xf86-video-ati driver and R600g (or even R300g), it's really getting time to start thinking about a hardware upgrade.
    Why? I'm using a HD 6950 with unlocked shaders, modified BIOS (UEFI support), overclocked and undervoltet. There's a lot of time invested in this card and it runs everything you smash at it (except compute shaders, there's already a bug report for that). The only downside is the VRAM, X-Plane 11 would greaty improve from more VRAM but GPUs are so expensive these days, it's simply not worth it.

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    The old Core2Duo laptop I have with r600g ATI graphics seems to not render plasma themes on KDE that well. No idea why they look different than what they're meant to. Also Chromium chrome://gpu reports a tonne of issues with the driver not implementing things correctly.

All that aside, the GPU works amazing on the dated hardware and performance is good with no major issues, thanks to all contributors

Leave a comment:

Working...
X