No announcement yet.

xf86-video-ati 18.0 X.Org Driver Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't upgrade my PPC G4 cube any further ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

These HD 6450/6570 perform like Kabini/Kaveri APUs... never say never, as that $99 Ryzen APU would totally eat all these for diner even that E ones in 35W mode even together with default JEDEC DDR4 clocks

I don't sell anything, but would change these at least because of electricity consumpation - as that alone knows to pay back initial investment
      I'd sure love to see the Raven Ridge 2200G/2400G get working under Linux but I fear that the B350 and X370 motherboards are missing something that BIOS alone can't fix for these processors. Once the B450 and X470 (or whatever they're called) come out those processors will shine but it's going to take some time.

If Michael couldn't get them going it's just too early and there is too much wrong with the CPU/Mobo combination.

On the other hand, having continued support for older hardware like my HD6870 on my work computer is comforting.

It'll all work out in the end unless the 2400G and 2200G are defective, I still want to do a uITX build but not until the frustration index goes down.

Comment

$99 Ryzen APU would totally eat all these for diner
        you can't replace them with $99 ryzen apu. you will also have to replace motherboard and memory

Comment

What you expect from 8 year old 19 Watts card? I am sure HD 5450 is much faster than RPi3's GPU

Fire up GLMark2 and compare, 79 on it, probably can do theoretical 150 if everything is top notch optimized How much you get there with HD 5450? I guess anything between 300-500 should be normal.
          I have one, fanless. It is weaker than the GPU on a Jaguar quadcore 5150. It even only support 2 displays, despite having 3 connectors. Is the kind of thing you buy because you need the cheapest card for a Bulldozer system.

Comment

The old Core2Duo laptop I have with r600g ATI graphics seems to not render plasma themes on KDE that well. No idea why they look different than what they're meant to. Also Chromium chrome://gpu reports a tonne of issues with the driver not implementing things correctly.

All that aside, the GPU works amazing on the dated hardware and performance is good with no major issues, thanks to all contributors

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              If you are still using the xf86-video-ati driver and R600g (or even R300g), it's really getting time to start thinking about a hardware upgrade.
              Why? I'm using a HD 6950 with unlocked shaders, modified BIOS (UEFI support), overclocked and undervoltet. There's a lot of time invested in this card and it runs everything you smash at it (except compute shaders, there's already a bug report for that). The only downside is the VRAM, X-Plane 11 would greaty improve from more VRAM but GPUs are so expensive these days, it's simply not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                it's really getting time to start thinking about a hardware upgrade.
                Would love to, but an AMD RX580 retails somewhere between 400 and 600 EUR in Germany...

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
                  The 5450 performs like crap, would need overclocking? On the lowest end there can be hundreds of MHz left on the vine, even for memory.
                  I don't know what you expect from such GPU, it was low-end GPU when it came out, that being said, I have HD 4350 (weaker than 5450) on spare PC and it can run Gnome-Shell without much problem (assuming vblank is off in both driver and clutter).

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
                  The old Core2Duo laptop I have with r600g ATI graphics seems to not render plasma themes on KDE that well. No idea why they look different than what they're meant to. Also Chromium chrome://gpu reports a tonne of issues with the driver not implementing things correctly.

All that aside, the GPU works amazing on the dated hardware and performance is good with no major issues, thanks to all contributors
                  I don't know about KDE, but for Chromium on HD 4350 hardware acceleration was disabled (last time I've checked = 5+ months ago), simply changing "Override software rendering list" option to enabled in "chrome://flags/" improves performance of the browser a lot (and that PC is used mostly for browser based flash games, all of them working quite well after this is done).

That being said, for compatibility sake, it would be wise to go fo low to mid-range GCN 1.2+ GPU when/if prices get to normality, and since even HD 4350 is suficient enough for single display workflow with compositing and stuff, HD 6770 is more than sufficient, so there's no need for hurry, just consider it in some not so distant future (paying rent and stuff doesn't help either lol).

Anyway, great news, and year based versioning is more sane and logical for DDX, if ever needed to be updated few times per year, point versions would solve that problem.

Comment

Originally posted by baka0815 View Post
                    Would love to, but an AMD RX580 retails somewhere between 400 and 600 EUR in Germany...
                    These who bought RX 480 back in 2016. for $199 must be quite happy

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post

I don't know what you expect from such GPU, it was low-end GPU when it came out, that being said, I have HD 4350 (weaker than 5450) on spare PC and it can run Gnome-Shell without much problem (assuming vblank is off in both driver and clutter).
                      A bit slow at running the old counterstrike (expected : 100 fps at 1024x768. got slow downs well below 60..). Will try again on Ubuntu 18.04?
                      Having access to clocks would be nice because perhaps the RAM is set to something low. Otherwise yes it worked.
                      I could get another GPU, but on "old" desktops like that the more pressing issue is slowly dying hard drives

Comment

Working...
                      X