Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenChrome DRM Still Aiming For Mainline Kernel, But Initially Will Lack 2D Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenChrome DRM Still Aiming For Mainline Kernel, But Initially Will Lack 2D Acceleration

Phoronix: OpenChrome DRM Still Aiming For Mainline Kernel, But Initially Will Lack 2D Acceleration

It's been several months since last hearing anything about OpenChrome as the open-source driver project still working to create a free software driver for VIA's aging x86 graphics hardware. There remains ambitions for getting this driver to the mainline Linux kernel, but 2D acceleration for now is out, and their DDX driver has been delayed indefinitely...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"driver for the Linux kernele" -> kernel

The good thing is also that he's learning from the free Radeon stack how to work on suspend/resume issues. Sometimes it's also some generic things you should do on certain steps for HW initialization, and you can translate that knowledge from an example like the AMD stack.
    I'll still keep my old Via HW warm for the day of glorious KMS.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Unfortunately VIA video hardware is pretty old and hard to find, most recently from around 2010, supporting DX 10.1, OGL 3.0, but still well suited for light tasks like web browsing, office work or something like that. I think it can run even latest KDE or GNOME without major problems.
      Last edited by onicsis; 02 March 2018, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by onicsis View Post
        Unfortunately VIA video hardware is pretty old and hard to find, most recently from around 2010, supporting DX 10.1, OGL 3.0, but still well suited for light tasks like web browsing, office work or something like that. I think it can run even latest KDE or GNOME without major problems.
        Actually, there seems to be one mobile chip from Aug 2012 supporting DX11 and OGL 3.2 – the VX11, but according to OpenChrome fd.o wiki page (last updated in 2014) this chip was not supported by the driver yet.

Comment

Working...
        X