VGA_Switcheroo Is Getting Modernized With Device Link Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssorgatem View Post
    Can this be used to switch between 2 discrete GPUs?
    This stuff is for handling runtime pm on hybrid laptops. You can already switch between dGPUs independent of this. Take a look at the prime stuff for X:

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

You're right about the releases of bbswitch, but do note that the last commit was last year: https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project...h/tree/develop
      Disable discrete graphics (currently nvidia only). Contribute to Bumblebee-Project/bbswitch development by creating an account on GitHub.

One and only patch since then to restore ability to build it does not make active development. bbswitch is fairly much on the way out if you have to use it over VGA_Switcheroo you need to submit a bug report on VGA_Switcheroo that does have active development. The missing support for GPU sent HDMI audio is a big one.

Bumblebee is also on the way out. Remember Bumblebee started before we had Prime Offloading. Its the thing of the Linux world the first way something is done may end up totally scrapped and replaced with something that works better.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

This stuff is for handling runtime pm on hybrid laptops. You can already switch between dGPUs independent of this. Take a look at the prime stuff for X:
        https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PRIME
        Interesting, thanks!

I guess with this I would be able to use a SI card with lower porwer consumption for the desktop, and a Vega card exclusively for gaming? Could both be using the amdgpu kernel driver?

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PRIME
          the PRIME arch article always requires the use of xrandr for GPU offloading. DRI3 is apparently used to perform GPU offloading, but there is little documentation about how to configure that for run-time decisions about what GPU should be used for any particular app. Does anybody know what is used to configure the DRI3 stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Disable discrete graphics (currently nvidia only). Contribute to Bumblebee-Project/bbswitch development by creating an account on GitHub.

One and only patch since then to restore ability to build it does not make active development. bbswitch is fairly much on the way out if you have to use it over VGA_Switcheroo you need to submit a bug report on VGA_Switcheroo that does have active development. The missing support for GPU sent HDMI audio is a big one.

Bumblebee is also on the way out. Remember Bumblebee started before we had Prime Offloading. Its the thing of the Linux world the first way something is done may end up totally scrapped and replaced with something that works better.
            Please quote the part where I said that it was still under active development. 'Cause I don't remember saying that, I just pointed out that the most recent commit wasn't a few years ago.

Comment

Working...
            X