Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qualcomm Rolls Out ~110k Lines Of New Kernel Code For Snapdragon 845 Display Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
    Actually Qualcomm is pretty lagging... Samsung has for a long time been number 1 (as kernel contributor != intel arch, Samsung has been in the top 5 for years). Ti is also big. I think we can even say that nvidia was pretty good, but only on ARM.
    no, we can't say that. nvidia doesn't register in statistics. on the other hand so much hated broadcom bypassed samsung for 4.15 https://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/742672/871845d0d77b3b49/
    though i'm sure some number of qualcomm and samsung people is registered under linaro
    Originally posted by Ardje View Post
    I assume that Qualcomms 100k lines will be rejected, until AMD and Samsung also can work with the same framework. Or better: I think it should be rejected unless it is a generic solution that will work for AMD, exynos, Pi's broadcom, rockchip, win etc. too...
    i assume nobody is going to redesign their hardware, so that ridiculous demand will not leave phoronix comments
    Last edited by pal666; 16 February 2018, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      That would mean the devices get bullshit board firmware like UEFI.
      not really. coreboot+devicetree is enough

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        To my knowledge, no ARM boards have an EFI and never will.
        your knowledge is very limited. uefi is mandated for arm servers

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          not really. uboot+devicetree is enough
          fixed.
          Coreboot is not exactly common outside of x86.

And my point was about his question for a generic image you can boot everywhere without changing configs, devicetree still needs to be integrated somewhere or added to the uboot config of files to load.

Comment

i wish it change because broadcom even employs mesa dev
            Last time i heard broadcom wireless didnt even properly support linux and needed some proprietary shit. i guess lot has changed now.

Comment

you've got it backwards. their competitors might exploit only violation of competitors patents, so expiration of qualcomm patents is irrelevant. it just weakens qualcomm position because now qualcomm can't retaliate because competitors cant violate expired patents
              No you got it backwards. It's only a violation if their competitor had it patented it before them. So the competitor's patent will expire before their own. Therefore if their own is expired it means their competitor's has expired too, so they are safe to get an open source driver.

Comment

Originally posted by KRiloshart View Post
                Last time i heard broadcom wireless didnt even properly support linux and needed some proprietary shit. i guess lot has changed now.
                Kinda. On x86 they have a blob driver with an opensource shim, so their stuff at least now works decently on PC.

For embedded stuff (i.e. non-x86 architectures) nope.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  devicetree still needs to be integrated somewhere or added to the uboot config of files to load.
                  yes, it should be part of firmware, but it is not uefi

Comment

Originally posted by HeadsUpHigh View Post
                    No you got it backwards. It's only a violation if their competitor had it patented it before them. So the competitor's patent will expire before their own. Therefore if their own is expired it means their competitor's has expired too, so they are safe to get an open source driver.
                    you are crazy. if competitor had it patented before then qualcomm's patent is invalid, no need for it to expire. patents are monopoly. the only "defensive" use of patents is same as of nukes: threat. qualcomm can have patent on x, competitor can have patent on y. if qualcomm does y, competitor could fuck it in court. if competitor does x, qualcomm could fuck it in court. and there are so many patents that it is hard to do something unpatented by someone else. so maybe they will just ignore each other to avoid assured mutual destruction. but if qualcomm's x is expired, then only competitor could fuck qualcomm and qualcomm can not retaliate

Comment

yes, it should be part of firmware, but it is not uefi
                      UEFI is a standard (also backed by big companies and most of the PC/server industry), while there is no standard on "bootloader that integrates right devicetree for Linux".

Which means that while it is VERY easy to do so and I agree on that, every manufacturer will still prefer UEFI or their own custom braindead method they always used.

Comment

Working...
                      X