Raspberry Pi VC4 Working On Polishing KMS Support, Continued VC5 Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi VC4 Working On Polishing KMS Support, Continued VC5 Progress

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi VC4 Working On Polishing KMS Support, Continued VC5 Progress

Broadcom's Eric Anholt has shared another routine status update about his ongoing work with the open-source VC4 graphics driver supporting current generation Raspberry Pi hardware as well as his work on the next-gen Broadcom VC5 open-source graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My concern is that VC4 becomes usable right about the time the Pi foundation moves to something else. I know VC4 is capable of much more than we're getting out of it currently, even Raspbian's Pixel desktop felt slow and laggy just running a few terminals.

Comment

Originally posted by squash View Post
      My concern is that VC4 becomes usable right about the time the Pi foundation moves to something else. I know VC4 is capable of much more than we're getting out of it currently, even Raspbian's Pixel desktop felt slow and laggy just running a few terminals.
      I don't disagree with you about the performance, but the reality shows that there are millions of RPI vc4 devices out there that will be updated to the open source driver at some point. I personally call that a huge win. Hopefully the RaspberryPI foundation will be able to release a new device fully open source at launch.
      BTW: does anyone know of any new rumour about the next RPI featuring maybe the VC5?

Comment

Originally posted by kmare View Post
        I don't disagree with you about the performance, but the reality shows that there are millions of RPI vc4 devices out there that will be updated to the open source driver at some point. I personally call that a huge win. Hopefully the RaspberryPI foundation will be able to release a new device fully open source at launch.
        BTW: does anyone know of any new rumour about the next RPI featuring maybe the VC5?
        I personally can't wait for this to become the default, been following the progress for a year or more now. Don't quote me on this but the foundation said it wouldn't move to the VC5 because of lack of an open source driver, a few months later Anholt moved to this platform, effectively filling that gap and the rumours started. It would be great if they moved to the VC5 so a good majority of QPU projects would still function after small adaptions as I believe the major difference between VC4 and VC5 is purely a more mature V3D.

Comment

Working...
        X