GLAMOR Acceleration Should Now Work With 30-Bit Deep Color Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLAMOR Acceleration Should Now Work With 30-Bit Deep Color Support

Phoronix: GLAMOR Acceleration Should Now Work With 30-Bit Deep Color Support

GLAMOR as a means of providing 2D acceleration over OpenGL in X.Org Server 1.20 will support for 30-bit RGB colors...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...lor-30-Support

Are 30bit displays detected automatically? Or do they require an xorg snippet?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      Are 30bit displays detected automatically? Or do they require an xorg snippet?
      The latter, or the -depth command line parameter.

The former would be problematic at this point, since some apps can't handle 30-bit colours yet.

Comment

I managed to also bisect some gnome on Wayland breakage to the enablement patch for 10 bit color in Mesa on my machine.

RX580 on a 7 year old Dell 24" 1920x1200 panel, so I doubt it has 10 bit support without any dithering. Running stock Ubuntu 17.10 with the exception of an updated 4.15rc kernel and updated llvm/mesa

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
          I managed to also bisect some gnome on Wayland breakage to the enablement patch for 10 bit color in Mesa on my machine.

RX580 on a 7 year old Dell 24" 1920x1200 panel, so I doubt it has 10 bit support without any dithering. Running stock Ubuntu 17.10 with the exception of an updated 4.15rc kernel and updated llvm/mesa
          10-bit displays have been around for quite a while. I think my HP zr30w is about that old, and it has 10-bit support. I'm sure some Dell screens from around that time had it too. Maybe dithered. That doesn't seem to bother a lot of people. Many displays are actually 6-bit and dither for 8-bit.

Yes, I found the earliest Dell 10-bit monitor (I think) is the Dell U2410 and it uses A-FRC dithering to support 10-bit color.
          Last edited by Zan Lynx; 01-26-2018, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

10-bit displays have been around for quite a while. I think my HP zr30w is about that old, and it has 10-bit support. I'm sure some Dell screens from around that time had it too. Maybe dithered. That doesn't seem to bother a lot of people. Many displays are actually 6-bit and dither for 8-bit.

Yes, I found the earliest Dell 10-bit monitor (I think) is the Dell U2410 and it uses A-FRC dithering to support 10-bit color.
            What I've got is an Ultrasharp U2412M, so you're probably right. I also hadn't remembered that this monitor had a display port output (bonus!). I do also have a 1080p Dell monitor plugged in next to it, and I'm not sure of that one's model number, but it is a cheaper panel that was retired from work.

I hadn't realized that 10-bit support was available in panels that far back, but it's possible that my setup could have one 8 bit and one 10 bit panel messing things up.

Comment

Working...
            X