Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chromium Embedded Framework Closer To Native Wayland Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Chromium Embedded Framework Closer To Native Wayland Support

    Phoronix: Chromium Embedded Framework Closer To Native Wayland Support

    Collabora's latest Wayland enablement effort is on getting the Chromium Embedded Framework (CEF) running nicely under Wayland with the Mus/Ozone infrastructure...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...um-CEF-Wayland

  • #2
    Not that hard. QtWebEngine has been running Wayland for a while now, the biggest problem was that Chromium was still trying to talk to an X11 server for stuff like suspend-suppression and color-space detection. We had to track down all the places it did that and make it able to work without an X-server, but with Qt 5.10.0, QtWebEngine can run on Wayland with no X11 server and without using Ozone.

    Comment


    • #3
      dammit, I want enough money today say "Hey Collabra, make <this> work pls. kthxbai"

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by carewolf View Post
        Not that hard. QtWebEngine has been running Wayland for a while now, the biggest problem was that Chromium was still trying to talk to an X11 server for stuff like suspend-suppression and color-space detection. We had to track down all the places it did that and make it able to work without an X-server, but with Qt 5.10.0, QtWebEngine can run on Wayland with no X11 server and without using Ozone.
        Do you know why Ozone is the "preferred" way to run on wayland btw ? I thought ozone was purely an abstraction layer for EGL platforms.

        Comment


        • #5
          Wow, there are clients that "...wanted to upgrade their system from X11 to Wayland ... wanted to have something which was as future-proof and as upstreamable as possible" and had the cash to hire mercenaries to get it done.

          While the company I work for must keep alive (some client's) servers running Windows 2000, of all things.
          Last edited by starshipeleven; 12-23-2017, 06:24 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Nothing makes me cringe more reading about an open source project than stuff like:
            ”Then we moved on to make the use cases our customer cared about stable and to port their internal runtime code.”

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by memeka View Post
              Nothing makes me cringe more reading about an open source project than stuff like:
              ”Then we moved on to make the use cases our customer cared about stable and to port their internal runtime code.”
              That's what they got paid to do. In the process, they advanced the state of the open source project to the benefit of everyone. Would you rather they didn't do anything at all?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Elyotna View Post

                Do you know why Ozone is the "preferred" way to run on wayland btw ? I thought ozone was purely an abstraction layer for EGL platforms.
                Ozone was designed for platform abstraction like this. In theory they want to make all platforms Ozone, but not much progress is made on that.

                In QtWebengine like Qt however we make platforms a runtime option not compile time, and X11 is not an Ozone platform.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by memeka View Post
                  Nothing makes me cringe more reading about an open source project than stuff like:
                  ”Then we moved on to make the use cases our customer cared about stable and to port their internal runtime code.”
                  Collabora isn't "an opensource project", they are "opensource consultants", mercenary programmers that work with opensource upstream to fix/integrate what a client pays them for.

                  Then of course a part of their job is working on the proprietary/internal code used by the client, as they are the ones which will find easier to update it to use the features they added to upstream opensource project.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X