KWin On Wayland Without X11 Support Can Startup So Fast It Causes Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KWin On Wayland Without X11 Support Can Startup So Fast It Causes Problems

Phoronix: KWin On Wayland Without X11 Support Can Startup So Fast It Causes Problems

It turns out that if firing up KDE's KWin Wayland compositor without XWayland support, it can start up so fast that it causes problems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

so much LOL

Comment

Race-condition

Comment

To me it's not funny, I'm using plasma5 (because I hate gnome 3) and it's much more sluggish than gnome 3. i.e. the main menu or especially the calendar which takes up to 3 seconds to show up when first clicked. It indeed seems that something not being slow is a problem for the kde project.

Comment

Technically, it's just revealing a latent bug caused by bad engineering practices that happened to have been hidden by incapable hardware and software. Fortunately, that's behind us now and we can look forward to a bright future with all new bugs. This is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            To me it's not funny, I'm using plasma5 (because I hate gnome 3) and it's much more sluggish than gnome 3. i.e. the main menu or especially the calendar which takes up to 3 seconds to show up when first clicked. It indeed seems that something not being slow is a problem for the kde project.
            I'd raise a bug for that, it doesn't sound like normal behaviour

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
              Technically, it's just revealing a latent bug caused by bad engineering practices that happened to have been hidden by incapable hardware and software. Fortunately, that's behind us now and we can look forward to a bright future with all new bugs. This is a good thing.
              It might actually not be their fault. I remember reading that they had to make some weird architectural choices to work around certain design flaws in Qt's platform support which manifested as "Written in Qt and using Wayland? You must be a client!" assumption.

Given that it talks about an internal Wayland connection, I suspect this relates to the solution I remember reading about which was in the vein of "fire up a compositor without the Qt platform bits, then spin up a client within the same process which connects to it and adds the Qt platform stuff" solution.
              Last edited by ssokolow; 13 December 2017, 11:38 AM.

Comment

To me it's like a car finally got it's speed but the damn parts did not keep up but good engineers will always run up to the car and (hopefully) fix it without slowing it down.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Use Xfce, it works fine with the Pentium III&512MB Ram and up. With Xfce you can freely configure panels,the desktop and the Whisker menu that does not exist in KDE. My Debian testing Xfce installation uses 240MB ram after booting to the desktop. With Xfce you make your desktop to look the way you want.
                  With TDE you can configure even more than Xfce. My Q4OS installation uses only 150-200 MB after booting to the desktop, so it's lighter as well. Q4OS also just pushed a new theme to make TDE look way more modern (it's a Plasma 5-like theme).

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Use Xfce, it works fine with the Pentium III&512MB Ram and up. With Xfce you can freely configure panels,the desktop and the Whisker menu that does not exist in KDE. My Debian testing Xfce installation uses 240MB ram after booting to the desktop. With Xfce you make your desktop to look the way you want.
                    Out of curiosity, do you use some compositor on your install of XFCE? Or other solution for screen tearing?

Comment

Working...
                    X