No announcement yet.

Way-Cooler Is Still Around As An i3-Inspired Wayland Compositor Written In Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way-Cooler Is Still Around As An i3-Inspired Wayland Compositor Written In Rust

Phoronix: Way-Cooler Is Still Around As An i3-Inspired Wayland Compositor Written In Rust

When it comes to having an i3-compatible Wayland compositor, Sway manages to capture much of the limelight, but Way-Cooler continues to advance as an alternative compositor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I see from the screenshot that the user has an Intel Core i7-6700HQ and 15937MiB of RAM. His or her hardware is Way-Cooler than mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
      I see from the screenshot that the user has an Intel Core i7-6700HQ and 15937MiB of RAM. His or her hardware is Way-Cooler than mine.
      Hey, at least it's not the nerd-emasculating photo on the AwesomeWM front page.

Comment

I am after a minimal WM as DWM. I3 is too bloated and RAM hungry for just handling windows as it task! I fear that both Sway and Way-Cooler are too. As it is only natural to bloated system require too much RAM and time from end-users!
        Last edited by oldgaro; 04 December 2017, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Ehm... Wayland is dying, and X.Org lives! At least, that's what some said in comments of different article about X.Org.

Or, well, why there of Wayland compositor? Is not Wayland dying?

Comment

Originally posted by oldgaro View Post
            I am after a minimal WM as DWM. I3 is too bloated and RAM hungry for just handling windows as it task! I fear that both Sway and Way-Cooler are too. As it is only natural to bloated system require too much RAM and time from end-users!
            Please give absolute numbers or it will just stay as an opinion (which is equally fine). The reason I am skeptic is because some people find over 1 GB of RAM as "RAM hungry" which to me is absolutely outrageous. If you have less than 4 GB of RAM, you are out of the modern cycle of the comfort zone for new and modern technologies for your computer (it can work but it's just going to be harder further on).

A system can be bloated, but then you report your findings and engage/communicate to improve the System/Distribution/Application (and for everyone else). Don't have time, well I guess wait until someone else does...

Comment

Originally posted by oldgaro View Post
              I hear you brother! You are more than welcome to start using Openbox. It's everything a power user needs and nothing else!

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Hey, at least it's not the nerd-emasculating photo on the AwesomeWM front page.
                You see, I can afford to build a setup like that, used monitors between 17-22 inch are cheap, as is old Radeon cards with 5 to 6 outputs, BUT:

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Comment

Someone should rewrite it in Ru.... oh wait

Comment

Originally posted by svanheulen

What do you consider bloated? I'm using i3 and checking in htop it's only using 112M virtual, 12M resident, 10M shared.
                    It won't fit on his 4MB 386, must be bloated!

Comment

Working...
                    X