Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir Lands In The Fedora Repository

Phoronix: Mir Lands In The Fedora Repository

Ubuntu's Mir display server stack is now available in the Fedora archive for Fedora Rawhide, Fedora 27, and Fedora 26 packages are also on the way...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i dont understand why distributions are seeking to use mir ; when a canonical dev published "why mir " everyone accurately pointed out how there are ccountless alternatives better at what it is supossed to be useful for

Comment

Originally posted by GunpowaderGuy View Post
      i dont understand why distributions are seeking to use mir ; when a canonical dev published "why mir " everyone accurately pointed out how there are ccountless alternatives better at what it is supossed to be useful for
      It's still a working compositor that can be migrated to Wayland more easily than making a new compositor from scratch.

Most of the flak against Mir is against "Mir as its own display server with its own protocol", not against "mir as a Wayland compositor"

Comment

Literally discussed in the article. Maybe you should go to the Derek Zoolander School for Kids Who Can't Read Good and Want to Do Other Stuff Good Too.

Comment

...... didnt read , or couldnt understand my whole comment ? ; again , many people disagreed with that article and explaned how , which its writer couldnt refute

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            It's still a working compositor that can be migrated to Wayland more easily than making a new compositor from scratch.
            while it will take significant work to re - work mir as a wayland implementation , which will cause serious inconviniences to its users until the process is completly done ( not to mention waiting for the mvp ) , several compositors and projects designed for writinng new ones and also shells ( wlc for writing compositors , frameworks for writing shells declaratively ,etc ) are ready

Comment

while it will take significant work to re - work mir as a wayland implementation
              Uhm... no? Mir was designed to be protocol-agnostic from the start, so it can be adapted to Wayland without much issues.

several compositors and projects designed for writinng new ones and also shells
              Neither has anywhere near the features of Mir, Mutter or Kwin.

And so far they are the only desktop-grade wayland compositors around.

Comment

...... didnt read , or couldnt understand my whole comment ? ; again , many people disagreed with that article and explaned how , which its writer couldnt refute
                Not the outdated shit you linked. The PHORONIX article. The one you REPLIED too. Quote below.

"They've been working to get Mir running on non-Ubuntu distributions to try to encourage more community support and adoption around this display server that's morphing into a potential Wayland compositor for helping the likes of MATE, Ubports, and others with basic Wayland support."

You said, "i dont understand why distributions are seeking to use mir ; when a canonical dev published "why mir " everyone accurately pointed out how there are ccountless alternatives better at what it is supossed to be useful for"

Distributes might want to support MATE for example. Simple enough for you?

Comment

elementaryOS's Pantheon Desktop uses libmutter without problems. Mutter, as the continuation of Metacity, could be used by Mate as well. Because Mate uses a Metacity fork, (lib)Mutter is technologically much closer to Mate's current WM than Mir.

Mate developers can obviously do whatever they want. With any luck by 2020 they'll get something somewhat usable on Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    Mutter, as the continuation of Metacity, could be used by Mate as well. Because Mate uses a Metacity fork, (lib)Mutter is technologically much closer to Mate's current WM than Mir.
                    As I previously pointed out, according to Ikey Doherty (lead developer of Solus and Budgie) in this thread:

At the most fundamental level Mutter does not expose support for panel positioning or strut reservation on Wayland, nor arbitrary window placement for blessed windows, which is everything that mate-panel would actually *need* to be useful.

Comment

Working...
                    X