Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenfield: An In-Browser HTML5 Wayland Compositor

Phoronix: Greenfield: An In-Browser HTML5 Wayland Compositor

Earlier this year we covered the Westfield project as Wayland for HTML5/JavaScript by providing a Wayland protocol parser and generator for JavaScript. Now that code has morphed into Greenfield to provide a working, in-browser HTML5 Wayland compositor...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-HTML5-Wayland

This is cool, but what is it good for?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      HTML5 Gaming? I'm not sure either. Cool project regardless.

Comment

People were making fun of Emacs being it's own OS, but now we are getting a compositor for anything-electron

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          I think for running entire desktops in a browser tab? If so, then it's basically like the Wayland counterpart of Xiwi: https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton...S-window-(xiwi)

Comment

The usual web developer nonsense. I still not get why people consider it a good idea to build an OS inside the browser, but I guess they need something for their shiny MacBook Pros to do while drinking coffee /sarkasm off

Comment

Who needs rust when you have javascript

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Greenfrield is using Westfield paired with WebRTC to provide this working in-browser compositor.

Comment

Originally posted by jhenke View Post
                  The usual web developer nonsense. I still not get why people consider it a good idea to build an OS inside the browser, but I guess they need something for their shiny MacBook Pros to do while drinking coffee /sarkasm off
                  I can see the point. If your software runs in a browser, it is as cross-platform as it gets. The distribution is quite convenient (you type an URL/you scan some QR code and you're running the software) and everybody already has the runtime environment (and by now, it even updates automatically for most people). It is not a native executable, but neither are Java or C# applications. The main issue (other than the fact, that it's not compiled, which I still consider necessary for performance-critical code) I have with it, is the fact that JavaScript is not a very pretty language, but that issue is being worked on, and that it still lacks good libraries in many areas.

Comment

Originally posted by tinko View Post
                    I can see the point. If your software runs in a browser, it is as cross-platform as it gets.
                    This is true, but if you are targeting a browser already, then it makes no sense to require the browser to have a wayland compositor inside it.

Webapplications are basically static-ish websites animated by javascript, and they run fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X