Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonadow
    replied
    What the articles fails to mention is whether Canonical are hiring people to work on Mir as a Wayland compositor, or Mir as its own solution incompatible with upstream Mesa and AMDGPU, AMDGPU-PRO and Nvidia's proprietary driver.

The first is welcome, the second not so.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
    And I thought they got it and would start to contribute to Wayland...
    Developing Mir is a contribution to Wayland. Remember: Wayland is a protocol, Mir is (now) one implementation of it.

Leave a comment:

• CTown
    replied
    I suppose Mir becoming a Wayland compositor gives more choice to projects that do not have the resources to make their own. To put it another way, just think of the countless window managers we have on X.org (Openbox, Fluxbox, Compiz, etc) that won't ever be Wayland compatible. Someone can take the idea behind these window managers and rewrite them on top of Mir; as Mir is no longer associated with a particular desktop. In a way, Mir has a chance to be the defacto implementation of Wayland outside of Plasma, Gnome, or Enlightenment. Still, this would be similar to what Weston's wlc library, Sway's wlroots, or Qt Compositor has already done. But Canonical's project could end up being much bigger and more heavily used compared to the alternatives just listed.
    Last edited by CTown; 15 November 2017, 11:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• leipero
    replied
    Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
    Is it the first time you read comments in here on a article regarding canonical vor ubuntu?
    Or RHE and so on... , but that's everywhere on every single discussion board/forum, you can't miss it when connected with such topics.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by grok View Post
    Does IoT need graphics driver crashes etc. ? or is it that IoT just means "computer" now.
    IoT also includes devices with a screen and that need some kind of limited 3D capability to show cool UIs or whatever.

Drivers crashing is their own problem, not wayland/mir/xorg's.

Leave a comment:

• bison
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Canonical Is Hiring Graphics Stack Developers To Work On Mir

While it was only months ago that Canonical let go of several Mir developers at the same time as other staff reductions for the Unity team and different areas as the company changed their focus, they are now looking for new Mir hires...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Mir-Developers
    One possible, if unlikely scenario is that Canonical plans to switch Ubuntu over to Mir sometime in the future, perhaps with 20.04 LTS.

Leave a comment:

• bison
    replied
    Originally posted by shanefagan View Post

Looking at the comments above made me pretty disappointed in the community at large so I'm going to say it below in bold so they can understand:

[B]Wayland is a specification for a protocol, it isn't an implementation!!!!!
    I was confused about that too, but it turns out that wayland is both a protocol and a set of libraries that implement the protocol.

bison@range ~ $ ll /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwayland-*
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 81002 Oct 11 13:50 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwayland-client.a
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Oct 11 13:50 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwayland-client.so -> libwayland-client.so.0.3.0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Oct 11 13:50 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwayland-client.so.0 -> libwayland-client.so.0.3.0
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 60624 Oct 11 13:50 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwayland-client.so.0.3.0
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 33298 Oct 11 13:50 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwayland-cursor.a
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Oct 11 13:50 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwayland-cursor.so -> libwayland-cursor.so.0.0.0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Oct 11 13:50 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwayland-cursor.so.0 -> libwayland-cursor.so.0.0.0
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 31168 Oct 11 13:50 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwayland-cursor.so.0.0.0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 Aug 10 17:51 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwayland-egl.so -> libwayland-egl.so.1.0.0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 Aug 10 17:51 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwayland-egl.so.1 -> libwayland-egl.so.1.0.0
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6088 Aug 10 17:52 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwayland-egl.so.1.0.0
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 107780 Oct 11 13:50 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwayland-server.a
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Oct 11 13:50 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwayland-server.so -> libwayland-server.so.0.1.0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Oct 11 13:50 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwayland-server.so.0 -> libwayland-server.so.0.1.0
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 73072 Oct 11 13:50 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwayland-server.so.0.1.0

There are 8 implementations of Wayland I found in the 5 minutes of random googling I did.
    What you probably found are compositors that link to the wayland libraries, which in turn are based on the wayland protocol. It's theoretically possible to implement a wayland compositor without linking to the wayland libraries, but I don't think that that's been done -- it would be a tremendous amount of work.

Leave a comment:

• k1l_
    replied
    Originally posted by shanefagan View Post

Looking at the comments above made me pretty disappointed in the community at large so I'm going to say it below in bold so they can understand:
    Is it the first time you read comments in here on a article regarding canonical vor ubuntu?

Leave a comment:

• JPFSanders
    replied
    Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
    Before they fired all the people related to mir and after they are hiring a mir developer... /(*o*)\
    It is called "business neurosis"

Leave a comment:

• Danielsan
    replied
    Before they fired all the people related to mir and after they are hiring a mir developer... /(*o*)\

Leave a comment:

Working...
X