Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KRiloshart
    replied
    Canonical always does funny things. A bit of humour in Linux world is always welcome.

Leave a comment:

• curfew
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    They can use Wayland for IoT.
    Why would they want Mir? What does it bring to the table?
    Mir is status quo, it's already established in their IoT stack. They will have to support it as long as they have promised to their customers. Now, I don't have a clue how popular a platform they have, but it is way easier to maintain the old platform with by building upon it than it is to start from scratch with a new platform. I presume they will take their time to study their new Wayland-based desktop environment and at some point they might start working on moving all of their product to run atop Wayland. Of course having Mir integrated with Wayland is already doing that right now.

Leave a comment:

• L_A_G
    replied
    Hardly surprising seeing how they said they were still going to continue working on Mir for embedded applications when they announced the move back to Gnome. Server and embedded being Canonical's main sources of actual revenue it's hardly surprising that they're not as willing to throw out embedded Mir as they were to throw out desktop Mir.

Can't see any reason to be surprised unless you're a wayland fanboy or dyslexic...
    Last edited by L_A_G; 16 November 2017, 07:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    They can use Wayland for IoT.
    Why would they want Mir? What does it bring to the table?

Leave a comment:

• Drago
    replied
    Canonical, stop beating this dead horse already. We told you once with upstart, we told you next with mir, we are telling you now...

Leave a comment:

• IreMinMon
    replied
    I thought they let all these people go a while back?

Leave a comment:

• Linuxhippy
    replied
    And I thought they got it and would start to contribute to Wayland...

Leave a comment:

• Canonical Is Hiring Graphics Stack Developers To Work On Mir

Phoronix: Canonical Is Hiring Graphics Stack Developers To Work On Mir

While it was only months ago that Canonical let go of several Mir developers at the same time as other staff reductions for the Unity team and different areas as the company changed their focus, they are now looking for new Mir hires...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X