GNOME Shell 4 Proposal Published To Be More Wayland-Focused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hrkristian View Post

Uhm... Caffeine stops your screen from blanking in the first place, that's the point. I have a 5 minute time-out, and sometimes I want to set it to "never" without having to go into settings; enter Caffeine, one click on the status bar and I have achieved just that.
    For the same usecase i use a simple script bound to a hotkey:
    Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Comment

I'll just stick to gnome3 for now then. Right now on my system everything from mutter down to gtk3 is built with wayland disabled and it runs like a dream.

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post

What I do not understand is why people even use Caffeine extension?
        What hrkristian said. I occasionally watch movies/longer videos on my arch linux PC running Mate, and was pulling my hair out trying to figure out a way to keep the screen from blanking every 15 minutes or so (none of the sleep mode settings seemed to have any effect). Caffeine solved this problem nicely.

Comment

Redhat has a new roadmap for what Redhat wants to do with Gnome?

Suddenly, KDE is looking better and better and better

Comment

I hope the Ubuntu-fied Gnome 3 stays with Gnome3 until Gnome4 is past beta. Gnome takes the release early and often, too seriously for a desktop environment.

Comment

Maybe they can make it less SystemD-focused while they're changing things.

I'm serious, not trolling, for the record. Not a battle of SystemD being good or bad. Just a general "DE shouldn't require a specific init system" argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Holograph View Post
                Maybe they can make it less SystemD-focused while they're changing things.

I'm serious, not trolling, for the record. Not a battle of SystemD being good or bad. Just a general "DE shouldn't require a specific init system" argument.
                Or maybe the other init systems should step up to the table and start providing the wanted functionality.

Comment

A more Wayland focused DE is very much a welcomed thing!
                  Maybe they could also introduce a "X11 apps can only run in a flatpack/snap" rule at the same time so there is no X11 files lying around on the root file system.

Even better if the is a little red warning on the title bar that says "Caution, this app is using legacy X11 and is therefore insecure".

Nothing quite like a little red warning visible to users to encourage developers

Comment

Originally posted by eddie View Post
                    I'll add that, if they still decide to continue with the approach of building out Shell and its extensions via a JavaScript engine, I'd hope that they at least switch to Kotlin/JS or TypeScript to define the APIs. As it stands I actually have never been able to find proper API documentation at all. Of course, an even better solution would be to pick a language-agnostic IDL, but that might be hoping for too much.
                    Since those languages compile to JS you can already do that, there are example repos out there using TypeScript with GJS (and GIR provides type information so its an actually decent experience).

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
                      A more Wayland focused DE is very much a welcomed thing!
                      Maybe they could also introduce a "X11 apps can only run in a flatpack/snap" rule at the same time so there is no X11 files lying around on the root file system.
                      I'm not sure that restriction is really helpful since all XWayland apps share the same server and is unsandboxed it still means that an application can escape the sandbox.

Comment

Working...
                      X