GNOME Shell 4 Proposal Published To Be More Wayland-Focused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanL View Post

If you think you can pester the whole world into rewriting everything for native Wayland support (and there's no indication to suggest you were joking), that's not funny to me. Putting a smiley after your statement doesn't magically make it funny...
    fair enough.

and you would be amazed at the power of a little red icon (that I am not being funny about)

I agree though - providing this incentive for apps to be ported would certainly be divisive - to the point it would never get up. The thought experiment behind it is a funny thing.

Comment

In a perfect world every application would be open source, but there is a massive amount of closed source X11 apps that will never see updates again.

Comment

Dear Gnome 4 Devolopers,
        - could I please be able to close app/windows during my alt-tab browsing by just moving my finger from the tab key to F4 or the more traditional Q key while holding at the same time the already pressed ALT one?
        - shouldn't be natural to be able to close apps when right-clicking on open apps icons in the dash?
        - where average/normal users should forward/discuss eventual feature request.. doesn't Gnome has a forum?
        I love Gnome but at the same time I struggle to understand it sometimes..

PS
        who kidnapped the Ghost of Funk???

Comment

Originally posted by Guy1524 View Post
          In a perfect world every application would be open source, but there is a massive amount of closed source X11 apps that will never see updates again.
          I'm all in favor of open source, but open source doesn't mean that you will see updates again. If no one is interested or doesn't have the manpower in your source code, then you will not see any updates. Open source is good because other developers have the *possibility* to fork it and continue development, but there's absolutely no guarantee.

Comment

Originally posted by Holograph View Post
            Maybe they can make it less SystemD-focused while they're changing things.

I'm serious, not trolling, for the record. Not a battle of SystemD being good or bad. Just a general "DE shouldn't require a specific init system" argument.
            The last remaining systemd contender is OpenRC and even its developers don't have enough confidence in it. It's still at version 0.x for a reason.

Comment

Working...
            X