GNOME Shell 4 Proposal Published To Be More Wayland-Focused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by You- View Post

Or maybe the other init systems should step up to the table and start providing the wanted functionality.
    Indeed, a future where every application has its own cgroup/namespace/etc controled by systemd allows for better sandboxing, resource limits for background processes, automaticly restarting services, etc is rather compelling for a modern desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
      Even better if the is a little red warning on the title bar that says "Caution, this app is using legacy X11 and is therefore insecure".
      Nothing quite like a little red warning visible to users to encourage developers
      That's overkill. I foresee user confusion/alarm and unnecessary bug reports and support requests.

Comment

Few suggestions and I hope someone from GNOME is reading:

1) many folks were disenchanted by GNOME3's looks and usability. Rather than have engineers alone design a usable UI, seek input from UI experts to recreate the desirability of GNOME2. Be unashamed if you have to rip off someone's Look&Feel or combine multiple L&F's from other UI frameworks/shells that were usable and beautiful at the same time. L&F lawsuits are dead so I wouldn't worry.

2) OS X's popularity is largely due to its breaking up with the past - OS 9 and PowerPC at the same time. They saw the light by 'reinventing' UNIX, which is what happens to every fool who ever tries to one up UNIX. Ok, maybe VMS one ups UNIX in many ways but it's sort of dead so it doesn't count. Microsoft hasn't seen the light yet, but when they do, get ready for an MS Linux plus Office 2020 combined release and Windows NT nicely running on KVM like OS 9 did in Rosetta while bridging the gap.

OSS has more of a luxury than comm. vendors, IMHO, to part with the curse of backward compatibility. If you have a chance to reinvent without the legacy baggage, take it. If it leaves too many twisting in the wind, provide some bridge for the legacy stuff but stay committed to the new, not the old. Don't become Microsoft.

3) Get Rusty. It's better than C and C++ combined. Gnome is C, writing new components and FFI-ing with old C libs from Rust and vice versa will do wonders for GNOME's stability and performance.

4) Purge X11 dependencies from GNOME entirely.

5) Make KDE devs green and angry like the Hulk. They will then be motivated to catch up or exceed .

6) Take longer but deliver higher quality.

7) almost forgot - f**k NVidia, long live Intel HD and now AMD (thank you Lisa Su!)

Godspeed!
        Last edited by MartinN; 14 November 2017, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

That's overkill. I foresee user confusion/alarm and unnecessary bug reports and support requests.
          Depending on how you design it - if the warning is a clickable button with a popup explaining what is going on in simple terms then I do not see user confusion being too much of a problem.

and a million bugs flooding a projects bug tracker would be annoying (but that's the point). as long as it was communicated widely and clearly then devs could prepare - by having their stuff not use X11

Comment

Originally posted by TingPing View Post

I'm not sure that restriction is really helpful since all XWayland apps share the same server and is unsandboxed it still means that an application can escape the sandbox.
            fair enough - seems like a minor implementation problem :P

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
              and a million bugs flooding a projects bug tracker would be annoying (but that's the point). as long as it was communicated widely and clearly then devs could prepare - by having their stuff not use X11
              ...or they could just tell you that they're not planning on a rewrite and to quit spamming the bug tracker. In other words, "Patches welcome (or GTFO)."
              Seriously, if that's what you call "helpful", don't try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by pgoetz View Post

What hrkristian said. I occasionally watch movies/longer videos on my arch linux PC running Mate, and was pulling my hair out trying to figure out a way to keep the screen from blanking every 15 minutes or so (none of the sleep mode settings seemed to have any effect). Caffeine solved this problem nicely.
                In this case application showing the video should prevent screen from blanking. Even browser showing HTML5 video is doing that. Fill a bug.

Comment

Originally posted by hrkristian View Post

Uhm... Caffeine stops your screen from blanking in the first place, that's the point. I have a 5 minute time-out, and sometimes I want to set it to "never" without having to go into settings; enter Caffeine, one click on the status bar and I have achieved just that.
                  As Masush5 said, you can use hotkey it's faster and easier, but it's on you what you will use ofc.

Originally posted by pgoetz View Post

What hrkristian said. I occasionally watch movies/longer videos on my arch linux PC running Mate, and was pulling my hair out trying to figure out a way to keep the screen from blanking every 15 minutes or so (none of the sleep mode settings seemed to have any effect). Caffeine solved this problem nicely.
                  I should have been more clear in my post, i was refering to Gnome-Shell, not other DE's. In GNOME 3, I have set 15 minutes to go blank, when i watch html5 (or any) video from Chromium (browser I use) it doesn't go blank untill video is finished, and then it waits 15 minutes i think, so that could be a MATE bug..., I had a problem with wine when using direct input device, power management in Linux doesn't recognize input devices (such as gamepads) as input, and it thinks it's idle, and goes blank. I've solved that problem with "joystickwake-git" from AUR.

Comment

I would double check the dpms settings. I know xfce's power manager overrides xset's dpms settings, but if you run a media player that inhibits the screensaver/power manager, I guess it's possible that the dpms settings could be back in effect?
                    Code:
                    xset -q

Comment

Originally posted by TingPing View Post

I'm not sure that restriction is really helpful since all XWayland apps share the same server and is unsandboxed it still means that an application can escape the sandbox.
                      Might as well start a separate XWayland server for each legacy app, each a separate wayland client. If thats at all possible with XWayland. Maybe wasteful but if the objective is sandboxing...

Comment

Working...
                      X