KWin Maintainer On KDE Wayland Remains Uninterested In NVIDIA's Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KWin Maintainer On KDE Wayland Remains Uninterested In NVIDIA's Driver

Phoronix: KWin Maintainer On KDE Wayland Remains Uninterested In NVIDIA's Driver

KDE KWin maintainer Martin Flöser remains less than interested in supporting NVIDIA's proprietary Linux graphics driver as long as they continue pursuing the EGLStreams approach until the long talked about new memory allocation API is ready...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why doesn't someone write a GBM wrapper for EGLStreams?
    Last edited by pracedru; 31 October 2017, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Let's have dozens of comments saying, "F*** you, NVIDIA" and other inanities which beautifully portray the open source community and its zealotry. Let's forget that NVIDIA owes the open source community basically nothing. Last but not least let's also forget that their OpenGL implementation is basically a standard in the computing industry. Let's just show our hatred because it's what anonymous commentators are perfectly capable of, right?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        Let's have dozens of comments saying, "F*** you, NVIDIA" and other inanities which beautifully portray the open source community and its zealotry. Let's forget that NVIDIA owes the open source community basically nothing. Last but not least let's also forget that their OpenGL implementation is basically a standard in the computing industry. Let's just show our hatred because it's what anonymous commentators are perfectly capable of, right?
        +1 Couldn't have said it better.

Comment

Exactly NVIDIA owes the Open Source Community nothing, equally the Open Source community owes NVIDIA nothing either. No one else should have to do extra work because NVIDIA decided to do things differently. They were the ones who huddled away when Wayland was being brought up. P.S. OpenGL is a standard, NVIDIAs implementation deviates from it. This isn't hate, it's realism.

Comment

Fuck you, NVIDIA.

Comment

Also note that Martin wrote this in his blog:
              But I think there is lots NVIDIA could do. Today I would accept a patch for EGLStreams in KWin if NVIDIA provides it. I would not be happy about it, but I would not veto it.
              So NVIDIA could help him, and third party too. The ideal would be of course the unified API, but again, NVIDIA has to work for it.

Comment

I like the quality of NVIDIA driver. Don't have any issues with the proprietary driver. It's full featured and has comparable performance to its Windows pendant.
                EGLStreams promises better performance. I would like to see therefore a merge of NVIDIA patches.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
                  I like the quality of NVIDIA driver. Don't have any issues with the proprietary driver. It's full featured and has comparable performance to its Windows pendant.
                  EGLStreams promises better performance. I would like to see therefore a merge of NVIDIA patches.
                  I would really like to see a merge of NVIDIA patches, if they existed. NVIDIA just told everyone to support their stuff and helped no one. I love the performance and quality too, but it's really a shame how they don't care about the community.

Comment

This comes after the Sway developer (ion3 compatible Wayland compositor) pretty much wrote the same thing about GBM vs. EGLStreams:

Props to both for not bending over for that company.

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    Let's forget that NVIDIA owes the open source community basically nothing.
                    Major parts of NVidia's workstation and HPC GPU business depend on Linux. They leech off the community while not giving back in kind, except in a few areas where they benefit from cooperation.

Comment

Working...
                    X