Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir 1.0 Is Pulled Back, Now It's Mir 0.28

Phoronix: Mir 1.0 Is Pulled Back, Now It's Mir 0.28

While we've long been told that Mir 1.0 would happen for Ubuntu 17.10 -- even as recently as last month -- and then earlier this week was a Mir 1.0 tag and the v1.0.0 milestone in Launchpad, that version is being pulled back in favor of calling it Mir 0.28...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

With 0.28, you can make a lot of releases before reaching 1.0 (if).

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
      With 0.28, you can make a lot of releases before reaching 1.0 (if).
      An arbitrary amount of releases, to be exact. Even up to like 0.99999 if that's the case. But no, I don't think it is. Canonical doesn't want to call it "1.0" because they're ditching Mir altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
        Canonical doesn't want to call it "1.0" because they're ditching Mir altogether.
        False. Canonical still contributes to Mir, even if not as much as before. Mir's goals have changed with along with Canonical's.

Comment

Kind of makes sense if they make the jump to 1.0 when the API breakage happens.

Comment

As a solely a user release < 1 suggests inoperability to me, but dates of course provide a insight into product relevance and maintenance. Should the product need to be initialised in some manner via command line of course full disclosure of all these details require rubbery double jointed fingers.

Comment

HTML typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              even <a href="https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Mir-1.0-Still-The-Plan">as recently as last month</> -- and then earlier this week was <a href="https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Mir-1.0-Cleared-For-Release">a Mir 1.0 tag and the v1.0.0 milestone in Launchpad</a>,

Comment

Originally posted by basildazz View Post
                As a solely a user release < 1 suggests inoperability to me, but dates of course provide a insight into product relevance and maintenance. Should the product need to be initialised in some manner via command line of course full disclosure of all these details require rubbery double jointed fingers.
                Mir isn't a program that is supposed to be initialized by normal users. It's intended for distro maintainers or people making their custom stuff.

Just like Xorg anyway, you don't just install it and then "doubleclick" on it. Without it you don't have a graphical user interface at all.

Comment

Can anyone explain what the point of Mir is at this point in time? I don't quite get it. Is Mir providing the compositor layer of the graphics stack?

Comment

Originally posted by pgoetz View Post
                    Can anyone explain what the point of Mir is at this point in time? I don't quite get it. Is Mir providing the compositor layer of the graphics stack?
                    For Canonical it is still alive for their embedded market (unknown), for other projects like MATE can be useful as a wayland compositor.

Comment

Working...
                    X