No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.12 Pushing For "An Awesome Release On Wayland"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I can say; FINALLY. This will be the real FACE OF LINUX OPERATING SYSTEM for Desktop (and for SMARTPHONE). PLASMA is the best desktop environment an operating system could integrate. Wayland will be able to make it the best of the best.
    Last edited by Azrael5; 11 October 2017, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Too bad I can't use it because of NVidia :-/

Comment

After months of using Ubuntu 17.10 and Arch Linux with Gnome I reinstalled my Arch Linux fresh with KDE and I am starting to like it a lot, addition of Vaults is also extremely useful, consumes less RAM than Gnome, it is snappier and doesnt hide settings from users like Gnome does, battery life is also better with KDE. With Unity gone I think my next desktop will be KDE in the long run and as for Wayland currently it is unusable due to mouse input lag and poor video playback performance, and that is Wayland on Gnome, I didnt test it on KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
          After months of using Ubuntu 17.10 and Arch Linux with Gnome I reinstalled my Arch Linux fresh with KDE and I am starting to like it a lot, addition of Vaults is also extremely useful, consumes less RAM than Gnome, it is snappier and doesnt hide settings from users like Gnome does, battery life is also better with KDE. With Unity gone I think my next desktop will be KDE in the long run and as for Wayland currently it is unusable due to mouse input lag and poor video playback performance, and that is Wayland on Gnome, I didnt test it on KDE.
          Yeah Kde is really nice on Arch also lately I find deepin excellent as well(pacman -S deepin deepin-extra).

Is less configurable than Gnome but the defaults are pretty damn sane, so much I almost don't miss the extra options.

Kudos to both teams

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            If so, then your problem isn't Nvidia. It lies somewhere else.
            You can wish that, it doesn't come true though. The problem is Nvidia.
            I just have to press the Meta key to open the start menu and playback in mpv will stutter like garbage.
            With Intel IGP: 0 stutter. I now remember I was also able to reproduce it with a GTX 780 Ti system, so you must be either blind or lying.

Comment

no nvidia = no party

Comment

The tread started with interesting discussion about Plasma and Wayland but it ended with the typical pro Nvidia arguments. The reality is simple, contribute code and then other developers take you serious. Nvidia doesn't, so why should a community project like KDE waste time and resources fixing Nvidia's long-standing problems?

KDE is a free software community. It is not a multi billion dollar business like Nvidia. Instead of complaining in a forum, all Nvidia user can send bug reports to Nvidia. Nvidia could simply contribute to KDE or adjust their closed driver. It's their choice.

Comment

Originally posted by darclide View Post
                  If Gnome manages it, I'm sure Plasma would be able to, if they just wanted.
                  Gnome on Wayland with NVidia does not support XWayland because NVidia refuses to add some needed feature to their drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by sl1pkn07 View Post
                    no nvidia = no party
                    I doubt Martin will refuse the code, should NVidia offer to write and maintain NVidia support. So far NVidia has been too cheap to lift a finger. Buy Radeon.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

I'm just a normal user and I almost switched to Plasma-Wayland just because I believe it is the right thing now and I'm interested in technology. So what kind of incentives do you expect?
                      Do you game on NVidia hardware? Do regular screen recording & casting? Use redshift to reduce eye strain? Probably none the of them. These are _critical_ to me and I won't switch until ALL of them worked on Wayland.

Comment

Working...
                      X