No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.12 Pushing For "An Awesome Release On Wayland"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1.) I applaud Martin decision to reject nVidia EGLStreams implementation simply because is very dangerous to allow nVidia to start imposing their own ways and is in no way superior to current GBM implementations from everyone else.

2.) For those "Gamers", RadeonSI in OpenGL mode is extremely close to nVidia's blob on most major games and in some cases faster(2015 is not anymore!!!) and for Vulkan(RADV) even agreeing with you is still subpar to nVidia's on performance wise is already compliant and is catching up fast and on Linux not many exists yet(ironically probably more than Windows tho)

3.) Is neither KDE or Gnome or any other DE problem, if you have a problem with that go and whine in nVidia's forum, after all is not like they knew exactly for 5 years how Wayland was going to be implemented and what GBM was all about and they changed their minds the last possible millisecond after literally every other driver GPU support GBM, oh wait!!!

4.) Nobody don't care if you are an nVidia fanboy that wanna game on Wayland go bother nVidia or lets say use gnome-wayland, is not like Linux suffer from lack DE choices

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
      1.) I applaud Martin decision to reject nVidia EGLStreams implementation simply because is very dangerous to allow nVidia to start imposing their own ways and is in no way superior to current GBM implementations from everyone else.
      I applaud you for posting this in the very thread where the shortcomings of GBM were listed.
      Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
      2.) For those "Gamers", RadeonSI in OpenGL mode is extremely close to nVidia's blob on most major games and in some cases faster(2015 is not anymore!!!) and for Vulkan(RADV) even agreeing with you is still subpar to nVidia's on performance wise is already compliant and is catching up fast and on Linux not many exists yet(ironically probably more than Windows tho)
      I applaud you once more for posting this the day after Michael did another round of gaming tests were some titles did not actually work on AMD cards.

But that may be just the fanboy in me speaking...

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I applaud you for posting this in the very thread where the shortcomings of GBM were listed.

I applaud you once more for posting this the day after Michael did another round of gaming tests were some titles did not actually work on AMD cards.

But that may be just the fanboy in me speaking...
        Theoretical shortcomings that EGLStreams neither fully fix nor provide any worth while enhancement outside the fact the only driver on the planet that supports it is nVidia(and maybe some obscure ARM/MIPS blob). I do agree on the fact there is room for improvement and they should work together on a implementation that fix both shortcomings(there is a GitHub repo for that already, tho I don't remember the name) but I do maintain my position EGLStream is simply not worth the effort versus the current(working) GBM implementations

Oh my Michael had bad luck and picked the one LLVM/Mesa GIT version that happened to be broken until few hours later, you made me see the truth, I'm running right now to my nearest store to buy an nVidia card while I conveniently suffer focused amnesia and forget every other benchmark on phoronix for over a year and pick precisely the broken one while silently imply nVidia has never broke before, right?, boy I'm such a fanboy

Comment

Nvidia doesn't have a problem. They sell hardware and they have a driver that puts hardware's capabilities in the hands of users. Technically speaking, that's where their responsibility ends.
          When it benefits them. Meanwhile on Windows the nvidia driver contains a list of patches that they apply to video games by matching the executable names to make their benchmarks look better (and because video games are bugged as hell).

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post

When it benefits them. Meanwhile on Windows the nvidia driver contains a list of patches that they apply to video games by matching the executable names to make their benchmarks look better (and because video games are bugged as hell).
            and this is bad because?

Comment

There's a category of posters that should not be fed
              Your attentiveness must be close to zero if you can't spot severe fps drops of X/compositing by simply opening things like context menues with Nvidia.
              Maybe better trust members who still can see stuff, or at least the Plasma fps counter if you want to have a fully objective source.

Comment

Originally posted by darclide View Post
                A rather big amount of Plasma developers is paid by Blue Systems. As I wrote, they also have corporate sponsoring behind it.
                Never heard of Blue Systems and googled it up. When reading the Wikipedia article it seems just like a nice guy who inherited a part of his fathers meat company sold his share and started Blue Systems to support KDE development.

So calling that "corporate sponsoring" is a bit excessive since it's essentially a single guy. Also the quote from the founder: "Blue Systems does not have a business model, at least for now". That's probably the least corporate thing I've ever heard from a corporation.

Comment

Originally posted by stikonas View Post
                  The incentive to switch to Wayland is that eventually we would be able to get a better desktop that would not be possible on X11.
                  Lots of people talk about Wayland like it's an instant killer feature for end users. Other than better theoretical security, I don't see a lot of immediate benefit from my perspective. So wake me up when "eventually" gets here. I'm so tired of comments like, "ZOMG! Wayland, Wayland, Wayland! Does it support Wayland? I don't want to run XWayland! It should support Wayland natively! Wayland! Wayland Wayland!"

Comment

So Martin took his wife’s last name?

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                      Your attentiveness must be close to zero if you can't spot severe fps drops of X/compositing by simply opening things like context menues with Nvidia.
                      Maybe better trust members who still can see stuff, or at least the Plasma fps counter if you want to have a fully objective source.
                      Not only am I unable to spot these drops, but I have enabled the FPS counter (in addition to all the effects I usually have turned on), played with the open windows in any way that crossed my mind and the counter never dipped below 60fps. On a mobile and ancient 610M.

Comment

Working...
                      X