KDE Plasma 5.12 Pushing For "An Awesome Release On Wayland"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

Let's say it like that, some Nvidia devs are working on something to replace ELGstreams with a new implementation where they hope it will be accepted by other driver developers. Unless you speak for Nvidia I think their actions tell that there is a problem (at least according to my humble opinion).
    Anyway even if they would provide a working implementation accepted by the other graphic developers working well on Plasma-Wayland, Nvidia wouldn't be an option for me and I think for a lot of others as well, they only provide a proprietary driver and they refuse to work with the community (=> signed firmware blob not available for nouveau).
    Yes, I know someone is supposedly working on a new solution. It was agreed at some point that neither GBM nor EGLStreams were optimal solutions and a new one should be created, but what happened after that is anyone's guess.
    As for me, I'll happily stick to the blob if the alternative is mixing and matching drivers, features and kernels, based on your actual requirements. On the other hand, yes, withholding those firmware blobs is really, really, really uncalled for.

Comment

I'm a KDE developer and I have no plans to use Wayland any time soon. Screen recording? Redshift? I game quite a bit as well (using NVidia driver). There is zero incentives for me to switch to Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
        Simply not true, Nvidia's X performance is partially very bad.
        What you can say might be "it works as mediocre as ever, with painful limitations".
        Any benchmarks to back that up? All I've been hearing about Wayland now is "no screen tearing" and that's pretty much it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoll View Post

Any benchmarks to back that up? All I've been hearing about Wayland now is "no screen tearing" and that's pretty much it.
          There's a category of posters that should not be fed

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
            Redshift and screenrecording.

Those are the two showstoppers for me, as soon as those are fixed I would be happy to switch to Wayland even though it might impact my gaming performance. I'm fine with minor bugs and bad performance now when it's still not mature and stable, but those two features are essential for me.
            redshift, OBS, and nvidia blob. They are very important to get working before i can switch to wayland.

Comment

As long as Plasma / Kwin do not support nvidia with Wayland, at least the category "gamers" will not use it, also likely most people who have to do 3d / OpenGL / Vulkan stuff, where MESA is simply not even remotely on par with the nvidia blob. So developers affected by these won't help.

Distributions likely also don't feel like helping, Gnome works with Wayland on all graphic cards and drivers, so for distributions going with Gnome instead of KDE Plasma is a more safe decision.

And by that, given developers and distributions have sane reasons to not choose Wayland & Plasma, it will also not arrive for users.

This is a shame and should be fixed, people should be way more pragmatic and not block a product for ideological reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by darclide View Post
                This is a shame and should be fixed, people should be way more pragmatic and not block a product for ideological reasons.
                That's true, but the official reason for not supporting an additional code path is not ideological, it is lack of resources (not as much to write the code, as to test and maintain it). And I don't have a real reason to doubt that.

Comment

darclide Well, that's not true. I am a gamer, I use an AMD GPU (with AMDGPU - get it?) to play games on Linux. I actually played Witcher 2 on KDE with Wayland, it looked a lot smoother than on GNOME with Wayland, and KDE with X11.

NVIDIA users are only a fraction of overall KDE users.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoll View Post
                    I'm a KDE developer and I have no plans to use Wayland any time soon. Screen recording? Redshift? I game quite a bit as well (using NVidia driver). There is zero incentives for me to switch to Wayland.
                    I'm just a normal user and I almost switched to Plasma-Wayland just because I believe it is the right thing now and I'm interested in technology. So what kind of incentives do you expect?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

That's true, but the official reason for not supporting an additional code path is not ideological, it is lack of resources (not as much to write the code, as to test and maintain it). And I don't have a real reason to doubt that.
                      I have reasons to doubt that. It might have been the case when Martin was more or less the only one working on it, but these days, with so many devs working plasma on wayland improving, human resources should not be an issue. Way less so automated regression testing / continuous integration. And given there is also a paying sponsor behind most of it now, potential nvidia hardware should hardly be an issue.

If Gnome manages it, I'm sure Plasma would be able to, if they just wanted.

Comment

Working...
                      X